HD 4850 512 GDDR3 vs. HD 5750 1 GB GDDR5 - which is better in an iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehpwnerer1918

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I am looking to buy a new 27" iMac. Most benchmarks I have looked at show the 4850 as being better, but I just don't understand how or why an older card would be better than the newer one? I do know that it has a 256-bit path, vs. the 128-bit of the 5750. Can anyone weigh in on which would be better for gaming? Thanks.

Solution
Get the HD 5750; it's performance is nearly equal to the HD 4850 (less than 5% difference). The benefits are as follows:

1. Nearly 50% the power consumption of the HD 4850.
2. Lower heat because of #1.
3. Has DX11
4. HDMI out supports bit-audio streaming which can stream the Dolby Stereo and DTS audio tracks from DVDs / Blu-Rays.

Im so sorry for your loss.

For an imac the 5750 is a better choice since its an enclosed space and the reduced heat will be helpful. The 4850 is slightly faster, but not by much so i would go for the 5750 instead. I have to ask, what would possess you to spend 1700 on a imac if you want to game? You can get a vastly superior PC for that price.

Timop

Distinguished

Actually, performance wise the HD5750 is the same as than the old HD4850 IIRC.
The old one is a Mobility HD4850, while the "5750" is actually a Mobility HD5850, which performs identically with the HD4850 while being cooler and consumes less power.Also, the 1GB Vram helps ALOT at the absurdly high resolution of that screen.

Though getting a mac to game is very redundant, Steam for Mac isnt the best, and running Bootcamp to play games is well, why don't you just get a PC?

If you want the looks, just get the 27" Cinema display and build a better PC for $700.

tehpwnerer1918

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you both for the help. It is not the looks that I am going for. As a long time computer technician, and recent switcher to Mac OS X (2 years ago), I would just never go back to a PC. I much prefer the look and feel of Mac OS X, and of course the high end hardware that looks great doesn't hurt. My main game will be Starcraft 2, which I have to play in low settings right now on my 24" iMac w/ HD 2600 XT. So thank you for the help.

Timop

Distinguished

LOL.

I never had the best luck with OSX, personally I think it looks "cheap" and over-polished while navigation was so overly-simplified that it became annoying, also cant get over the fact that youre losing so much scrren real estate on the dock.

Besides, CS3 kept on crashing, screen zooms randomly, stuff keep on disappearing on the dock and sometime you get greeted by the magic beachball.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

:lol: Macs have mismatched hardware configurations and they never have the high-end hardware.They make fools of their customers by showing them how 'updated' they are when they update their current offering with hardware that is going to be out-dated within a few months.They added core 2 duos in 2008 when PC owners had access to Nehalems, which they are only converting into as recently as early 2010,after a few months both AMD and Intel released their 6 core CPUs.Also in a few months time Intel will come up with Sandy Bridge and AMD with Bulldozer.Don't worry, iMac lovers- you will also get them in 2 years time when Intel and AMD(possibly) would launch processors with completely redesigned architectures.

Moreover they make a 27" 2560x1440 display run on a graphics card which is only good for games upto 1680x1050, and they suppory only OpenGL, on which gaming performance is pathetic, to say the least.

tehpwnerer1918

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
1. thank you for any help that was found sifting through the bullshit 2. if you hide the dock you lose zero screen real estate 3. wtf does droid have to do with a Mac of a PC ? 4. PC is just a clever acronym for piece of crap 5. bitch and moan all you want, youre not going to hurt my feelings, you'll never have an OS as nice as Mac OS X (although Windows does steal enough of their ideas that you might someday be close), and I didn't ask for opinions on my preference or yours, just answer the question or stfu

Timop

Distinguished

So its either losing screen space or open programs?
For your information, PC stands for "Personal Computer" and the iMac is a PC, so youre calling it "crap"?

Finally, what ideas did Windows "steal" from OS X? Can you give me an example? Thank you very much.

I was simply sharing my gripes about OSX since we were on this topic. Never meant to hurt your feelings and/or convince you anything. If you want, go have fun with the "magical" and "revolutionary" apple, while we make logical choices on products that suits our needs best.

(PS. You KNOW there are more OSes than OSX and Windows right? :bounce: )

Get the HD 5750; it's performance is nearly equal to the HD 4850 (less than 5% difference). The benefits are as follows:

1. Nearly 50% the power consumption of the HD 4850.
2. Lower heat because of #1.
3. Has DX11
4. HDMI out supports bit-audio streaming which can stream the Dolby Stereo and DTS audio tracks from DVDs / Blu-Rays.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.