Sign in with
Your question

No Bios No Display - Removing cpu & heatsink applying new coolant

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2010 8:48:50 PM

Okay I built my computer 2003 and have never had any issues with it. About two weeks ago the system would start normally intermittently. At first 2 to 4 times powering it off then back on to get a bios beep and good start; then 4 to 8 times until last week it simply would not start. I found this site while looking for possible causes and though I tried everything nothing worked. I took apart my system and tried different components for the past week until yesterday when I accidentally disassembled everything including the heatsink and cpu. I cleaned off the old thermal paste and applied new. I put everything back together and my system turned on booted gave me a message stating the bios configuration was set to defaults. Could this have been the problem? The coolant paste? Because if it could be then I will be happy to keep using this computer. If maybe it is just a fluke and is going to mess up in the near future I would like to know so I can prepare myself. I do a lot of work on my computer and would like to think this is a real solution to my problem but I don't know. Please let me know. Thank you.
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 10:14:15 PM

If the old thermal paste had hardened and stopped doing its job properly then the cpu could have been overheating and turning itself off.

I have had the same thing on laptops and thermal paste re-application has fixed it.

Hope it keeps working for you.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
November 29, 2010 11:19:53 PM

If it is working well and doing what you need, keep it. Just keep an eye on it.
m
l
!