No Bios No Display - Removing cpu & heatsink applying new coolant

Okay I built my computer 2003 and have never had any issues with it. About two weeks ago the system would start normally intermittently. At first 2 to 4 times powering it off then back on to get a bios beep and good start; then 4 to 8 times until last week it simply would not start. I found this site while looking for possible causes and though I tried everything nothing worked. I took apart my system and tried different components for the past week until yesterday when I accidentally disassembled everything including the heatsink and cpu. I cleaned off the old thermal paste and applied new. I put everything back together and my system turned on booted gave me a message stating the bios configuration was set to defaults. Could this have been the problem? The coolant paste? Because if it could be then I will be happy to keep using this computer. If maybe it is just a fluke and is going to mess up in the near future I would like to know so I can prepare myself. I do a lot of work on my computer and would like to think this is a real solution to my problem but I don't know. Please let me know. Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about bios display removing heatsink applying coolant
  1. If the old thermal paste had hardened and stopped doing its job properly then the cpu could have been overheating and turning itself off.

I have had the same thing on laptops and thermal paste re-application has fixed it.

Hope it keeps working for you.
  2. If it is working well and doing what you need, keep it. Just keep an eye on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS