UT and XP SP2 (How do I make it work!?)

Help!
Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)

So MS screwed my ass!

Help!

cheers for any help :)
31 answers Last reply
More about make work

    use dx

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >Help!
    >Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >
    >So MS screwed my ass!

    I have a feeling that a lot of other things may have "screwed your
    ass", but not MS. I've never had an issue with any version of Windows
    running any version of UT (GOTY thru 2K4). Check your hardware ... or
    your own computing proficiency. In my experience, people who start
    blaming the OS for all their problems are usually the source of all
    their problems.

    open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.
    you might want to read more here:

    http://www.opengl.org/

    x.C wrote:
    > "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
    >> Help!
    >> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>
    >> So MS screwed my ass!
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> cheers for any help :)
    >>
    > use dx

    or linux
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    shame, cos UT always ran a shed load better in OpenGL.

    I just get a lack of visuals, just a blank screen in OpenGL.

    DX always dragged the game down.

    "x.C" <email> wrote in message news:qpCdnWFogdHqB1DfRVn-ig@rogers.com...
    > use dx
    > "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
    >> Help!
    >> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>
    >> So MS screwed my ass!
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> cheers for any help :)

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I'll Just format for Linux and download and install UT linux then... ha ha

    Cheers :)

    "{AGUT}DeadMan" <oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > x.C wrote:
    >> "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
    >>> Help!
    >>> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>>
    >>> So MS screwed my ass!
    >>>
    >>> Help!
    >>>
    >>> cheers for any help :)
    >>>
    >> use dx
    >
    > or linux

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    kAUSTiK wrote:
    > "{AGUT}DeadMan" <oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> x.C wrote:
    >>> "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message

    >>> use dx
    >>
    >> or linux
    >>
    > I'll Just format for Linux and download and install UT linux then... ha ha

    You'd just have to download a small (~6MB) installer
    that uses your normal UT media.

    UT2K4 includes the linux installer on the cds, nothing
    to download.

    I was joking at the start but it really is well worth
    the switch in every way.

    In any case, good luck with your prob.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Unfortunately that didn't work.!

    Hmm!

    "x.C" <email> wrote in message news:qpCdnWFogdHqB1DfRVn-ig@rogers.com...
    > use dx
    > "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
    >> Help!
    >> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>
    >> So MS screwed my ass!
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> cheers for any help :)

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    x.C enlightened us with:
    > open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.

    Depends on where you look at. In terms of stability, OpenGL has always
    been ahead of dx.

    MeltDown
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >Help!
    >Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >
    >So MS screwed my ass!
    >
    >Help!
    >
    >cheers for any help :)

    A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
    exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
    it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Thanks...
    I do keep flirting with Linux from time to time, maybe after my next
    Hardware upgrade I'll have enough bits to make a linux box :)

    > kAUSTiK wrote:
    >> "{AGUT}DeadMan" <oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> or linux
    >>>
    >> I'll Just format for Linux and download and install UT linux then... ha
    >> ha
    >
    > You'd just have to download a small (~6MB) installer
    > that uses your normal UT media.
    >
    > UT2K4 includes the linux installer on the cds, nothing
    > to download.
    >
    > I was joking at the start but it really is well worth
    > the switch in every way.
    >
    > In any case, good luck with your prob.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    thanks alot, I'll take a look....

    :)

    "x.C" <email> wrote in message news:QfydnXRCktb5KVDfRVn-3g@rogers.com...
    > open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.
    > you might want to read more here:
    >
    > http://www.opengl.org/
    >

    > "Darmok" <cooncat.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Help!
    >>>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>>
    >>>So MS screwed my ass!
    >>
    >> I have a feeling that a lot of other things may have "screwed your
    >> ass", but not MS. I've never had an issue with any version of Windows
    >> running any version of UT (GOTY thru 2K4). Check your hardware ... or
    >> your own computing proficiency. In my experience, people who start
    >> blaming the OS for all their problems are usually the source of all
    >> their problems.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I just find that UT look a hell of a lot better in OpenGL and it realses the
    game to perform without the system being dragged down... the game seems to
    fly :)

    Now if only I could get it to work lol

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > x.C enlightened us with:
    >> open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.
    >
    > Depends on where you look at. In terms of stability, OpenGL has always
    > been ahead of dx.
    >
    > MeltDown
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Hiya,
    The ability for UT to run at the moment, let me try a few things here, just
    to double check.
    At present i just get a lovely Black screen with UT music playing, NO menu
    system, nothing.

    Cheers
    *goes for food.

    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>Help!
    >>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>
    >>So MS screwed my ass!
    >>
    >>Help!
    >>
    >>cheers for any help :)
    >
    > A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
    > exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
    > it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D

    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>Help!
    >>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>
    >>So MS screwed my ass!
    >>
    >>Help!
    >>
    >>cheers for any help :)
    >
    > A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
    > exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
    > it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    i tend to disagree.
    on windows xp, open gl cant run better than directx.
    run them both on the same settings and check the fps (~ stat fps)
    i get 75(vsync on , i am on lcd) on dx and 50-60 on opengl.
    directx looks a lot better imo.
    i run a 2500+@3200+, 1gb dualch, ati radeon9800pro bba at 1280x1024x32
    2ansio 2 anti

    >I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
    >

    > "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Help!
    >>>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
    >>>
    >>>So MS screwed my ass!
    >>>
    >>>Help!
    >>>
    >>>cheers for any help :)
    >>
    >> A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
    >> exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
    >> it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Its just annoying that what once worked great in SP1 of XP, now works like
    shite under SP2! lol

    "x.C" <email> wrote in message news:aYednawDRJQPWVPfRVn-2A@rogers.com...
    >i tend to disagree.
    > on windows xp, open gl cant run better than directx.
    > run them both on the same settings and check the fps (~ stat fps)
    > i get 75(vsync on , i am on lcd) on dx and 50-60 on opengl.
    > directx looks a lot better imo.
    > i run a 2500+@3200+, 1gb dualch, ati radeon9800pro bba at 1280x1024x32
    > 2ansio 2 anti
    >
    > "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
    >>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
    >>

    >> "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

    >>> A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
    >>> exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
    >>> it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:45:35 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >Its just annoying that what once worked great in SP1 of XP, now works like
    >shite under SP2! lol

    You've never told us your hardware setup. If you are running an AMD
    K6 - 300 mhz with a 8 meg Trident video card and 64 meg of ram, then
    yeah, it will probably run pretty lousy.

    I'm running:

    O'clocked P4 @ 3.1 ghz
    512 MB Dual Channel Geil DDR ram running at almost 1 ghz
    128 MB ATI 9700 Pro
    Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 MB
    XP Pro - SP2 with all recent updates

    No problems running anything.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Not that it has anything to do with the matter as my hardware has not
    changed recently.

    AMD XP 1900 (yes its a little old but used to be fine with UT)
    1 Gig of DDR ram
    64 meg GeForce 2 GFX
    MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo
    1x 40gig HD 1x 60gig HD
    Plextor CDR
    Pioneer DVDR
    PCI SCSI card
    D-Link NIC
    AudioTrak Maya44 & MidiTrak 2120 (Sound & Midi)

    :) soon, when I have the money, I'll be upgrading some hardware.

    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:45:35 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>Its just annoying that what once worked great in SP1 of XP, now works like
    >>shite under SP2! lol
    >>

    > You've never told us your hardware setup. If you are running an AMD
    > K6 - 300 mhz with a 8 meg Trident video card and 64 meg of ram, then
    > yeah, it will probably run pretty lousy.
    >
    > I'm running:
    >
    > O'clocked P4 @ 3.1 ghz
    > 512 MB Dual Channel Geil DDR ram running at almost 1 ghz
    > 128 MB ATI 9700 Pro
    > Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 MB
    > XP Pro - SP2 with all recent updates
    >
    > No problems running anything.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 07:51:39 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >Not that it has anything to do with the matter as my hardware has not
    >changed recently.
    >
    >AMD XP 1900 (yes its a little old but used to be fine with UT)
    >1 Gig of DDR ram
    >64 meg GeForce 2 GFX
    >MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo
    >1x 40gig HD 1x 60gig HD
    >Plextor CDR
    >Pioneer DVDR
    >PCI SCSI card
    >D-Link NIC
    >AudioTrak Maya44 & MidiTrak 2120 (Sound & Midi)
    >
    >:) soon, when I have the money, I'll be upgrading some hardware.

    Start with the video card. I know of at least 2 guys in my LAN party
    group who had problems with GeForce vid cards .. even the 256 mb
    model, whatever that is.

    Good luck ..
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Actually, I tried the latest nVidia Drivers, and they won't install due to
    Windows XP having 'better' drivers LOL
    I think I'll wait to mess about with further driver upgrades untill I
    upgrade this machine propperly.

    Cheers

    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 07:51:39 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>Not that it has anything to do with the matter as my hardware has not
    >>changed recently.
    >>
    >>AMD XP 1900 (yes its a little old but used to be fine with UT)
    >>1 Gig of DDR ram
    >>64 meg GeForce 2 GFX
    >>MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo
    >>1x 40gig HD 1x 60gig HD
    >>Plextor CDR
    >>Pioneer DVDR
    >>PCI SCSI card
    >>D-Link NIC
    >>AudioTrak Maya44 & MidiTrak 2120 (Sound & Midi)
    >>
    >>:) soon, when I have the money, I'll be upgrading some hardware.
    >>

    > Start with the video card. I know of at least 2 guys in my LAN party
    > group who had problems with GeForce vid cards .. even the 256 mb
    > model, whatever that is.
    >
    > Good luck ..
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:02:57 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D

    Besides turning on the firewall by default, the other major change in
    SP2 for XP is the inclusion of DEP or Data Execution Prevention. It's
    supposed to help stop viruses or other nasties from exploiting buffer
    overflows, but like lot's of other things that are supposed to help,
    it can mess up some applications. You can do a web search to see how
    to turn it off for individual applications or to turn it off globally
    (which is what I did, by using the "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" flag).
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:02:57 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
    >
    > Besides turning on the firewall by default, the other major change in
    > SP2 for XP is the inclusion of DEP or Data Execution Prevention. It's
    > supposed to help stop viruses or other nasties from exploiting buffer
    > overflows, but like lot's of other things that are supposed to help,
    > it can mess up some applications. You can do a web search to see how
    > to turn it off for individual applications or to turn it off globally
    > (which is what I did, by using the "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" flag).

    And that was some of the best advice you given too. Cleared up several
    problems at once when I disabled it.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    After some messing about, I find that the default drivers in SP2 of XP don't
    work propperly, and the latest nVidia drivers have removed support for my
    GFX card....
    So back to old aged drivers, and OpenGL works, and works just so so sweet,
    better graphics / framerate / Playability...

    cool.

    :) happy happy joy joy :)
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:25:26 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >After some messing about, I find that the default drivers in SP2 of XP don't
    >work propperly, and the latest nVidia drivers have removed support for my
    >GFX card....
    >So back to old aged drivers, and OpenGL works, and works just so so sweet,
    >better graphics / framerate / Playability...
    >
    >cool.
    >
    >:) happy happy joy joy :)

    Glad you got it sorted. Frag on. ;-)
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    indeed :)

    > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:25:26 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>After some messing about, I find that the default drivers in SP2 of XP
    >>don't
    >>work propperly, and the latest nVidia drivers have removed support for my
    >>GFX card....
    >>So back to old aged drivers, and OpenGL works, and works just so so sweet,
    >>better graphics / framerate / Playability...
    >>
    >>cool.
    >>
    >>:) happy happy joy joy :)
    >>

    > Glad you got it sorted. Frag on. ;-)

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I have a friend who made a regestry tweak to turn off all the mumbo-jumbo
    like firewalls and stuff like that.
    I know what, and how to use a firewall and I preffer to use my own.

    :)
    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:02:57 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
    >
    > Besides turning on the firewall by default, the other major change in
    > SP2 for XP is the inclusion of DEP or Data Execution Prevention. It's
    > supposed to help stop viruses or other nasties from exploiting buffer
    > overflows, but like lot's of other things that are supposed to help,
    > it can mess up some applications. You can do a web search to see how
    > to turn it off for individual applications or to turn it off globally
    > (which is what I did, by using the "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" flag).

  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Microsoft Bullshit for people who don't know what a computer is!

    "goPostal" <none@this.net> wrote in message

    > "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:02:57 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
    >>
    >> Besides turning on the firewall by default, the other major change in
    >> SP2 for XP is the inclusion of DEP or Data Execution Prevention. It's
    >> supposed to help stop viruses or other nasties from exploiting buffer
    >> overflows, but like lot's of other things that are supposed to help,
    >> it can mess up some applications. You can do a web search to see how
    >> to turn it off for individual applications or to turn it off globally
    >> (which is what I did, by using the "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" flag).
    >>

    > And that was some of the best advice you given too. Cleared up several
    > problems at once when I disabled it.

  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:32:22 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

    >Microsoft Bullshit for people who don't know what a computer is!

    Which, unfortunately, refers to about 95% of computer "users" out
    there today .. you know the ones. They think the hole in the CD-Rom
    tray is for holding a coffee cup.

    Its a good thing I don't work for Tech Support for MS or any computer
    manufacturer, because the first time I got a call from some 'dipshit',
    I'd probably tell them to box up their computer and send it back
    because they are too fraggin' stupid to own one.

    After 25 years of using computers, I've met loads of people who would
    be better of sticking to paper and pencil!
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    :-)
    I just gave away a couple of age old Phillips burners... Now, they were more
    functional as a Coaster! they made enough of them! :D

    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:32:22 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >
    >>Microsoft Bullshit for people who don't know what a computer is!
    >
    > Which, unfortunately, refers to about 95% of computer "users" out
    > there today .. you know the ones. They think the hole in the CD-Rom
    > tray is for holding a coffee cup.
    >
    > Its a good thing I don't work for Tech Support for MS or any computer
    > manufacturer, because the first time I got a call from some 'dipshit',
    > I'd probably tell them to box up their computer and send it back
    > because they are too fraggin' stupid to own one.
    >
    > After 25 years of using computers, I've met loads of people who would
    > be better of sticking to paper and pencil!
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    http://rinkworks.com/stupid/

    :)

    "Chris van Bladel" <chbEDmicrofixPUNTnl> wrote in message
    > Darmok wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:32:22 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Microsoft Bullshit for people who don't know what a computer is!
    >>

    >> Which, unfortunately, refers to about 95% of computer "users" out
    >> there today .. you know the ones. They think the hole in the CD-Rom
    >> tray is for holding a coffee cup.
    >>
    >> Its a good thing I don't work for Tech Support for MS or any computer
    >> manufacturer, because the first time I got a call from some 'dipshit',
    >> I'd probably tell them to box up their computer and send it back
    >> because they are too fraggin' stupid to own one.
    >>
    >> After 25 years of using computers, I've met loads of people who would
    >> be better of sticking to paper and pencil!
    >
    > http://www.ajokes.com/jokes/1710.html

Windows XP Games OpenGL Video Games