UT and XP SP2 (How do I make it work!?)

Help!
Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)

So MS screwed my ass!

Help!

cheers for any help :)

use dx

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

>Help!
>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>
>So MS screwed my ass!

I have a feeling that a lot of other things may have "screwed your
ass", but not MS. I've never had an issue with any version of Windows
running any version of UT (GOTY thru 2K4). Check your hardware ... or
your own computing proficiency. In my experience, people who start
blaming the OS for all their problems are usually the source of all
their problems.

open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.
you might want to read more here:

http://www.opengl.org/

x.C wrote:
> "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
>> Help!
>> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>
>> So MS screwed my ass!
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> cheers for any help :)
>>
> use dx

or linux

shame, cos UT always ran a shed load better in OpenGL.

I just get a lack of visuals, just a blank screen in OpenGL.

DX always dragged the game down.

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:qpCdnWFogdHqB1DfRVn-ig@rogers.com...
> use dx
> "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
>> Help!
>> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>
>> So MS screwed my ass!
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> cheers for any help :)

I'll Just format for Linux and download and install UT linux then... ha ha

Cheers :)

kAUSTiK wrote:
> "{AGUT}DeadMan" <oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> x.C wrote:
>>> "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message

>>> use dx
>>
>> or linux
>>
> I'll Just format for Linux and download and install UT linux then... ha ha

You'd just have to download a small (~6MB) installer
that uses your normal UT media.

UT2K4 includes the linux installer on the cds, nothing
to download.

I was joking at the start but it really is well worth
the switch in every way.

In any case, good luck with your prob.

Unfortunately that didn't work.!

Hmm!

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:qpCdnWFogdHqB1DfRVn-ig@rogers.com...
> use dx
> "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote in message
>> Help!
>> Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>
>> So MS screwed my ass!
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> cheers for any help :)

Meltdown

x.C enlightened us with:
> open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.

Depends on where you look at. In terms of stability, OpenGL has always
been ahead of dx.

MeltDown

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

>Help!
>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>
>So MS screwed my ass!
>
>Help!
>
>cheers for any help :)

A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

Thanks...
I do keep flirting with Linux from time to time, maybe after my next
Hardware upgrade I'll have enough bits to make a linux box :)

> kAUSTiK wrote:
>> "{AGUT}DeadMan" <oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> or linux
>>>
>> I'll Just format for Linux and download and install UT linux then... ha
>> ha
>
> You'd just have to download a small (~6MB) installer
> that uses your normal UT media.
>
> UT2K4 includes the linux installer on the cds, nothing
> to download.
>
> I was joking at the start but it really is well worth
> the switch in every way.
>
> In any case, good luck with your prob.

thanks alot, I'll take a look....

:)

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:QfydnXRCktb5KVDfRVn-3g@rogers.com...
> open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.
> you might want to read more here:
>
> http://www.opengl.org/
>

> "Darmok" <cooncat.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
>>
>>>Help!
>>>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>>
>>>So MS screwed my ass!
>>
>> I have a feeling that a lot of other things may have "screwed your
>> ass", but not MS. I've never had an issue with any version of Windows
>> running any version of UT (GOTY thru 2K4). Check your hardware ... or
>> your own computing proficiency. In my experience, people who start
>> blaming the OS for all their problems are usually the source of all
>> their problems.

I just find that UT look a hell of a lot better in OpenGL and it realses the
game to perform without the system being dragged down... the game seems to
fly :)

Now if only I could get it to work lol

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> x.C enlightened us with:
>> open gl ahs been always behind dx with ut.
>
> Depends on where you look at. In terms of stability, OpenGL has always
> been ahead of dx.
>
> MeltDown

Hiya,
The ability for UT to run at the moment, let me try a few things here, just
to double check.
At present i just get a lovely Black screen with UT music playing, NO menu
system, nothing.

Cheers
*goes for food.

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
>
>>Help!
>>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>
>>So MS screwed my ass!
>>
>>Help!
>>
>>cheers for any help :)
>
> A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
> exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
> it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
>
>>Help!
>>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>
>>So MS screwed my ass!
>>
>>Help!
>>
>>cheers for any help :)
>
> A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
> exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
> it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

i tend to disagree.
on windows xp, open gl cant run better than directx.
run them both on the same settings and check the fps (~ stat fps)
i get 75(vsync on , i am on lcd) on dx and 50-60 on opengl.
directx looks a lot better imo.
i run a 2500+@3200+, 1gb dualch, ati radeon9800pro bba at 1280x1024x32
2ansio 2 anti

>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
>

> "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:24:14 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
>>
>>>Help!
>>>Before I isnatlled XP SP2 it all worked perfectly in OpenGL (on XP SP1)
>>>
>>>So MS screwed my ass!
>>>
>>>Help!
>>>
>>>cheers for any help :)
>>
>> A bit more information about your problem would be helpful. What
>> exactly is broken? If it's your ability to join an online game then
>> it might be SP2's built-in firewall. Give more info please.

Its just annoying that what once worked great in SP1 of XP, now works like
shite under SP2! lol

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:45:35 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

>Its just annoying that what once worked great in SP1 of XP, now works like
>shite under SP2! lol

You've never told us your hardware setup. If you are running an AMD
K6 - 300 mhz with a 8 meg Trident video card and 64 meg of ram, then
yeah, it will probably run pretty lousy.

I'm running:

O'clocked P4 @ 3.1 ghz
512 MB Dual Channel Geil DDR ram running at almost 1 ghz
128 MB ATI 9700 Pro
Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 MB
XP Pro - SP2 with all recent updates

No problems running anything.

Not that it has anything to do with the matter as my hardware has not
changed recently.

AMD XP 1900 (yes its a little old but used to be fine with UT)
1 Gig of DDR ram
64 meg GeForce 2 GFX
MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo
1x 40gig HD 1x 60gig HD
Plextor CDR
Pioneer DVDR
PCI SCSI card
D-Link NIC
AudioTrak Maya44 & MidiTrak 2120 (Sound & Midi)

:) soon, when I have the money, I'll be upgrading some hardware.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 07:51:39 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

>Not that it has anything to do with the matter as my hardware has not
>changed recently.
>
>AMD XP 1900 (yes its a little old but used to be fine with UT)
>1 Gig of DDR ram
>64 meg GeForce 2 GFX
>MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo
>1x 40gig HD 1x 60gig HD
>Plextor CDR
>Pioneer DVDR
>PCI SCSI card
>D-Link NIC
>AudioTrak Maya44 & MidiTrak 2120 (Sound & Midi)
>
>:) soon, when I have the money, I'll be upgrading some hardware.

Start with the video card. I know of at least 2 guys in my LAN party
group who had problems with GeForce vid cards .. even the 256 mb
model, whatever that is.

Good luck ..

Actually, I tried the latest nVidia Drivers, and they won't install due to
Windows XP having 'better' drivers LOL
I think I'll wait to mess about with further driver upgrades untill I
upgrade this machine propperly.

Cheers

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:02:57 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:

>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D

Besides turning on the firewall by default, the other major change in
SP2 for XP is the inclusion of DEP or Data Execution Prevention. It's
supposed to help stop viruses or other nasties from exploiting buffer
overflows, but like lot's of other things that are supposed to help,
it can mess up some applications. You can do a web search to see how
to turn it off for individual applications or to turn it off globally
(which is what I did, by using the "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" flag).

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:02:57 +0100, "kAUSTiK" <k@kaustik.not> wrote:
>
>>I never had these problems with older versions of windblows :D
>
> Besides turning on the firewall by default, the other major change in
> SP2 for XP is the inclusion of DEP or Data Execution Prevention. It's
> supposed to help stop viruses or other nasties from exploiting buffer
> overflows, but like lot's of other things that are supposed to help,
> it can mess up some applications. You can do a web search to see how
> to turn it off for individual applications or to turn it off globally
> (which is what I did, by using the "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" flag).

And that was some of the best advice you given too. Cleared up several
problems at once when I disabled it.

After some messing about, I find that the default drivers in SP2 of XP don't
work propperly, and the latest nVidia drivers have removed support for my
GFX card....
So back to old aged drivers, and OpenGL works, and works just so so sweet,
better graphics / framerate / Playability...

cool.

:) happy happy joy joy :)