HPNA/DSL need advice please.

car1jones

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Can someone help me please?

I have just moved into a new build home. I have a talktalk connection through phoneline due to no cable in area. The phone line master is outside and every room in the house has an extension. I have a filter in the lounge which runs a dsl cable to the router (huawei echolife hg250b) and a ethernet cable running to main PC on XP(static IP), wireless I have a Laptop on WIN7, WII, and IPOD touch - all work fine. I have been looking into HPNA. My boys have 3 xbox360's that need connecting (I dont want wireless recievers if possible) plus i could do with a connection in each room. At present one of the xbox's is wired by a messy ethernet outside the house which can't stay there long (grey cable!)

Can i get a get a phone line - ethernet jack that i can connect direct? Is the phone line useable without a modem/router in each room? can i bridge the internet from the router into the phone line to make the house live? I have looked into a few possibilities but have so many questions that i can't find answers to.

I need some advice or ideas - Please someone put me back on the right track.

Thanks.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I just went to the wiki page (never used HPNA myself) - looks like it will work with DSL (won't interfere). I'd just start researching some products, look for reviews & see what they claim to be able to do.

car1jones

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Yeah HPNA seems o.k and I have looked into it - it just seemed as though bridging back into a phone extension system that already has a live internet feed is like doubling back on myself. I was wondering if I could feed straight off the feed before router, as there is no modem. I was hoping I could just hook straight from the extensions into a filter (I have a couple) and if it is possible to get a DSL to ethernet cable to direct feed to each room. I was also unsure if or not I needed to set up another router on the same IP address.

I hope you can see what I am trying to achieve. HPNA seems a good idea if your extensions aren't already internet live. As things are now I could just move the router into any room but I want every room :eek:

TRENDING THREADS