Sign in with
Your question

Help with my hardware

Last response: in Components
November 29, 2010 8:41:37 PM

I play mainly three games; Minecraft, Combat Arms, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
When i first got my computer it ran all of the games good on low quality graphics, like on minecraft setting the render distance to tiny and fast gra[hics instead of fancy and so on. I started noticing it getting worse when on Combat Arms when i first opened the game for the first 3-10 minutes i would have game lag(not network) then it would go to normal, but now it constantly lags even on the lowest settings and i cant play cod4 because of how its gotten nor combat arms, here are my specs: http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/dbzman44/?acti...

Also i have an 8gb attache flash drive and I've tried to use it with Readyboost since im running windows 7 but it doesnt seem to do much if nto cause mroe problems. All help with this would be greatly appreciated

More about : hardware

November 29, 2010 10:19:45 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Computer Peripherals to section CPU & Components by Buwish
November 29, 2010 10:28:36 PM

You may want to add more RAM.
Related resources
November 30, 2010 12:40:38 AM

Hi dubzz, Welcome to THW.

Adding more RAM will probably not help you improve your performance much at all. It may give a small gain but not a really good increase.

If your PC use to run these games it still should be able to, but now something is holding back its performance. Have you filled up your hard drive to its limit? Do you have a lot of background programs running? Check the task manager to see how many things load at startup and how much memory your consuming.

The best thing you can do is to make sure your PC is up-to-date with the latest drivers for EVERYTHING. Make sure to defrag, clean your internet files out ,and maybe run a reg. clean like CCleaner.

Another thing you can do is to make sure your not running a bunch of unneeded backround programs on your PC or have alot of things load when you start-up. If you want to free up as many system resources as possible go to this site: www.blackviper.com , and follow his directions.

The thing that would help your PC the most would be an upgrade of the GPU if it is possible, and after that if nothing else helps is RAM.
November 30, 2010 11:29:45 AM

my pc never ran these games "well".i mean by this that every other person would be complaining constantly but ive just learned to live with it. ive always experienced minor problems with the games but nothing that restricts mee from playing. after i had played on my dads desktop dell inspiron one I want to have my pc better.
i currently have 183gb free of 213gb and i have no backround programs running besides sinaptics pointing device intel graphics card home and hp wireless assistant. and how would i update all of my drivers and is there a certain type of ram that i should buy
November 30, 2010 2:09:07 PM

Yeah, dadiggle is right. What exact GPU are you using or are you running on-board GFX?. It may be best for your to upgrade that first and then go from there.
December 2, 2010 12:15:52 AM

Quote:
have you always used windows 7?

yes on this computer ive always had windows 7
December 2, 2010 12:18:36 AM

thechief73 said:
Yeah, dadiggle is right. What exact GPU are you using or are you running on-board GFX?. It may be best for your to upgrade that first and then go from there.

any suggestions on what to upgrade to, because im low on cash atm but i have enough for 2-4gb of ram and a cheapo gfx card like : EVGA e-GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card or PNY GeForce 210 PCIE 2.0 1GB Video Card VCGG2101XPB or EVGA GeForce 9500 GT PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card with 1GB Memory or something under $80
December 2, 2010 5:24:58 PM

The problem is that not may notebooks allow for GPU's or for them to be installed or replaced, so the first step will be to determine if it is possible in the first place.

What is the exact model number of your notebook?

On a side note: It really is impossible to get a desktop gaming experience on a laptop, they just can't cut it.
December 3, 2010 12:02:06 AM

thechief73 said:
The problem is that not may notebooks allow for GPU's or for them to be installed or replaced, so the first step will be to determine if it is possible in the first place.

What is the exact model number of your notebook?

On a side note: It really is impossible to get a desktop gaming experience on a laptop, they just can't cut it.

Presario CQ62 Notebook PC
December 9, 2010 5:07:35 PM

There should be a few more numbers and a couple letters after that. Fastest way to get an answer is call or email Compaq.
!