Sign in with
Your question

Finishing Touches

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2010 7:19:45 AM

Ok, I've gotten most way through rebuilding my system. I was just hoping for some opinions. I have already gotten a new PSU, Mobo, HDD, and just need to finish the RAM cause I noticed only a few days ago that two sticks are DDR2 667MHz, the other two are DDR2 800MHz (2GB (2x1GB) Mushkin Silverline).

Specs:

PSU: Cooler Master Elite 460W
Mobo: ASUS M4A785-M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE
RAM: Mushkin 2GB(2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770
Case: Cooler Master Sniper AMD Dragon Platform
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series 50

I like the AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE, because it fits what I need, also it's possible that it can be unlocked to a tri or quad core. Also the GPU is topping out my price range on that part. And the case is exactly what I need to fit everything and keep it all cool. And like I said the PSU, HDD, and Mobo are the ones I just got.

More about : finishing touches

a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2010 10:45:53 AM

Personally I would not want to spend money on old RAM, if you were replacing the RAM then you may as well have just bought a DDR3 motherboard instead and bought new DDR3 RAM.

Keep all 4gb of RAM in your system and just make sure in Bios the 800mhz RAM is clocked down to 667. There will be no noticable performance difference with the speeds, though ou will gain performance doing this due to using 4gb instead of 2. I would only consider using just 2gb of the 800mhz RAM if for some reason your system was unstable with both sets being used.
m
l
September 7, 2010 11:00:33 AM

Looks like it's going to be a balanced system. Although I would have gone with an X3 CPU so don't be disappointed if unlocking cores won't work. Good luck on the build.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2010 6:03:49 PM

I've done research on the performance difference of DDR2 and DDR3, and wasn't convinced of buying DDR3. However, do you think it would be a good idea to just get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Since it will keep my current amount of RAM, and if need be I can get more later on.

Also punnar, I know I've gotta belucky to get any extra core to unlock. However, after looking at the Phenom II X3 740, I like the specs, and its also the same price of the 555 BE. So I will get the 740
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2010 6:17:27 PM

that psu is one step above total crap and 2 steps from good
m
l
September 7, 2010 7:31:26 PM

^I have that same power supply.

Be careful you plan to change that GPU anytime soon.

ddr2 is fine, I'm using it. Dont get the idea that you HAVE to have ddr3 or anything.
m
l
September 8, 2010 4:07:52 AM

I know. DDR3 only has about a 3% performance over DDR2. Also Mecha, what do you do you mean about the GPU. Oh and obsidian, the PSU more power than I need, even with the upgrades. Also, Cooler Master PSUs are good.
m
l
!