Solved

Hard Drive Failiure

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 16, 2012 5:44:01 PM

I was using my computer then all of the sudden my pc just started to restart itself when it tried to restart it got stuck on the loading screen and wouldn't go past it, so I had no choice but to turn off my computer and turn it back on, but on the reboot I got the first startup screen but then after a while it turned to a black screen with white text and it said "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". After this happened I restarted my computer and ran the diagnostics, the cpu, RAM, and DvD drive passed except the hard drive, it said there was not a hard drive inserted and gave me the error BIOHD-2. After I saw this I called HP for support and I waited about 30 mins on hold and talking to the support agent giving him all the information he needed to find out that I have to pay $60 to get help from them. I was getting impatient after this and took my hard drive out of my pc, took all the dust off and plugged back in but while holding it in my hand to see if it would start up and everything, the good news is that it did so I knew tha wasn't the problem, but now I don't know what to do. I am seeking your help as you are my only hope. I am actually typing this from my Xbox because I have no other computers to test on which have SATA drives, and my computer model # is m8530f so you can look at what parts it has and help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

More about : hard drive failiure

a b G Storage
December 16, 2012 6:51:51 PM

follow this article for windows 7.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

or this one for vista.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

assuming you can see the hdd in the bios.

you could download a bootdisk and burn it to cd or a usb drive to see if any data is still on your hard drive.

try plugging your hdd in a working computer as a secondary hdd to see if any data is still on the hdd.

the last option is to format the drive and try reinstalling windows.
m
l
December 16, 2012 8:25:43 PM

jonjonjon said:
follow this article for windows 7.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

or this one for vista.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

assuming you can see the hdd in the bios.

you could download a bootdisk and burn it to cd or a usb drive to see if any data is still on your hard drive.

try plugging your hdd in a working computer as a secondary hdd to see if any data is still on the hdd.

the last option is to format the drive and try reinstalling windows.

I can't see my Hard Drive in the bios or else I would have tried that already, but thanks for trying to help me with my problem. You think it could be my motherboard? I also don't have any other computers that I could use that have SATA ports in them to plug mine into.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 1:38:01 AM

if you cant see it in the bios there is a good chance the hard drive is dead. try replacing the sata cable, a different power cable and a different sata port on the motherboard. if you still cant see it in the bios then trying it in another computer is the only thing i can think of.
December 17, 2012 2:29:15 AM

jonjonjon said:
if you cant see it in the bios there is a good chance the hard drive is dead. try replacing the sata cable, a different power cable and a different sata port on the motherboard. if you still cant see it in the bios then trying it in another computer is the only thing i can think of.

The drive spins up and everything but doesn't get detected, I also switched which port I plugged it into I tried 5 different ones, and to really test it I plugged in my dvd drive to the same port that my hard dive was originally in and it turned on and was able to be detected. So now I know that it's my hard drive and I have bought a new one already along with a new OS. So hopefully this one works and the problem really was my hard drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 2:43:39 AM

if you use the same cables and ports and it detects the dvd drive but not the hdd that sounds like the hdd died.
m
l
a c 336 G Storage
December 17, 2012 7:58:52 AM

What is the HDD model number and firmware version?
m
l
December 17, 2012 9:51:47 PM

Best answer selected by ninjaofd3athz.
m
l
a c 336 G Storage
December 17, 2012 11:57:35 PM

The reason I asked for a model number is that certain drives have a firmware bug that causes them to remain busy. For example, Seagate's 7200.11 models with SD15, DE12 and HP24 firmware are afflicted by a BSY bug. The solution involves an easy, low cost, DIY fix.
m
l
!