ASUS P6T V2 PCIe 2.1 compatability

Skycop97

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Will updating the BIOS of an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 allow the use of a PCIe 2.1 video card? The mobo is stock 2.0. Must upgrade GPU, but running into this roadblock. Can't seem to get an answer from the ASUS forums.

Thanks,
AC

thetoadkillerdog

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
ok, my MSI Cyclone 6850 (PCI-Express 2.1) *works* with my ASUS P7P55D LE mobo -however- I am only getting x8 when both purport to support x16. yes, all the latest bios and drivers. x8 as reported by CPUz, GPUz & Catalyst 11.8. can anybody explain this and, more importantly, how can I get x16?

Thanks in advance

The BIOS is irrelevant in regards to the PCI Express version.

It is the motherboard's chipset that determines what PCI Express version specification has been implemented.

In your case the P6T Deluxe uses the Intel X58 chipset which implements the PCI Express Version 2.0 specification and cannot be changed by any BIOS revision.

A PCI Express 2.1 graphics card is fully compatible with a motherboard's primary PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

The P7P55D LE only supports:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16) (Blue slot)
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (at x4 mode, 2.5GT/s) (White slot)

You should be using the blue PCI Express x16 slot only for that graphics card. I see all 16 lanes soldered to this slot.

I only see four lanes soldered to the white PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot so it only operates in x4 mode.

Has the card ever been shown to operate at x16?

thetoadkillerdog

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Yep, in the blue slot. re-seated twice now.
I've had the card for about four months. I was trying to troubleshoot another problem (lockup) and this card seemed to fix that problem. It's been stable since I installed the 6850 until a couple of weeks ago. Then the lockup/freeze started again and that's when I noticed cpu-z,gpu-z reporting the x8. So, no, it has not been shown to operate at x16 since I've been looking at it.

I do have a USB 3.0 card in the short slot right next the video card. I monitor the gpu temperature and it rarely gets above 48-49c.

I am new to building (managing hardware?) computers. I think I will be looking at the power supply next (Corsair 520W) as I have replaced everything else in this build chasing the lockup/freeze. The reason I mention that is because I was wondering if low or inappropriate voltage would drop it to x8? And who would I know? GPU-z says "power saving features may affect the results displayed" in the Bus Interface popup. VDDC lowest: 0.950V, max at 1.150

I just noticed CPUz is reporting the Graphic Interface Link Width as x8 - Max Supported x16 on the 'Mainboard' tab.
Catalyst, on the other hand, is reporting the 'Maximum Bus Setting" at PCI Express 2.0 x8 in the graphics hardware information section. It seems one is reporting the board at x8 and the other is reporting the card a x8. So it seems.

It should be noted the only place I've seen the PCI e 2.1 in on the online specifications - don't know if that necessarily is accurate for my card. http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R6850-Cyclone-1GD5-Power-Edition-OC.html#?div=Specification

as per MSI I will be trying the card in another computer next week to see if it runs at x16 on that one (thanks Dan! for letting me use your computer!)

I have discovered MSI Kombustor. I get artifacts on the combined both the normal and extreme tests. I have never overclocked the card.

CPU is Intel