Sign in with
Your question

Help! system shut down and now broken. MOBO or CPU?

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2010 3:56:24 PM

Hello! Now I just recently purchased a bunch of parts from Newegg a little less then a month ago, put my computer together, and it worked perfectly...for a while. I bought Starcraft 2, was enjoying that for a while, and my computer randomly just shut down half way between a mission. (I was watching my temps and nothing was really hot). I found it weird, know SC2 has some overheating issues, but wasn’t really worried about it and just left my computer off for the rest of the day.

Now just this past weekend, I was playing an older RTS game, and it did the exact same thing and just shut down. Now I have nothing over clocked, and plenty of airflow and fans to cool my system, so not really worried about overheating, so i just turned it back on, this is when things got...weird.

So my system starts up, all the case LED's and fans start up, for about 1.5 seconds, and then turns off again. Then automatically turns off again, and starts again for 1.5 seconds. Did this 3x times. Now when I turn my system on, my monitor won't pick up any displays. My system turns on, all the fans run, mobo and LEDs light up, and its business as usual, just no display. Now I thought maybe...just maybe...my GPU got fried so i tore open my roommates system and used his vid card, and still same thing...here are my specs.

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM62847236
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case62503351

So in mean time I have been messing with it trying to figure out what is wrong, and the only things i can think of are mobo and cpu. What tests can I run to narrow it down???? I still have like 4 more days before my newegg 30 day warranty or whatever runs out and its really annoying! My case didn't have a "speaker" wire, just HD audio, so I don’t get any beeps when i turn it on, but should the HD audio be sufficient for this or do I actually need that speaker wire? I also tried different ram combos in different slots, but I don't think its the ram. Any ideas? Please help! Thank you!
September 7, 2010 4:16:40 PM

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM62503351
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler62503351

oh yeah and these are what i had cooling my CPU, not that stock hunk of junk fan that was provided. I havn't taken my CPU out yet, would that cause an issue like this? is it easy to tell of the CPU is broken?
m
l
September 7, 2010 6:14:42 PM

Okay so the 902 doesn't come with Speakers, so i may have to find a local shop to get one at. Also, I have nothing else plugged in, except for PSU power cord and monitor (and the monitor does have power), and still, no matter which RAM channel or stick, everything is the same. It all turns on, all fans, LED's, but no display. I'm leaining towards CPU at this point...but maybe it is the mobo. No on board video but my friends GPU, which works, wont work in any slots so I think its safe to say my GPU works...unless all my PCI ports or fried....arg too many choices!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2010 5:11:25 PM

Run memtest for at least 6 passes overnight to test the RAM.
Make sure RAm timings and v is set in BIOs to Manf specs

Run prime 95 for 12 hrs or so overnight to test CPU.

My guess is that's it your OCZ RAM. Horrible rep this generation.
m
l
Related resources
!