question On Hard Disk Partitions

Hi, i jus recently noticed this issue, this is a new 80GB Hard disk. im
running windows xp sp1. when i checked my disk management console i saw that
there is a partition which says Healthy(Unknown Partition) along with my 4
healthy partitions which i had configured...when i checked in cmd it showed
something like this...
Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
* Disk 0 Online 75 GB 0 B

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 19 GB 32 KB
Partition 2 Extended 48 GB 19 GB
Partition 3 Logical 19 GB 19 GB
Partition 4 Logical 19 GB 37 GB
Partition 5 Logical 11 GB 56 GB
Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB 67 GB

when i right click this unknown partition to check properties everything is
grayed out. except for delete partition...when i tried del partition the
system gave me a error
---------------------------
Disk Management
---------------------------
The selected partition was not created by Windows and might contain data
recognized by other operating systems. Do you want to delete this partition?
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------
so i refrained from deleting until i get some expert advice on this...donno
wats that Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB.wanna know if anything can be done, or
is it actually the space used by the basic disk.
4 answers Last reply
More about question hard disk partitions

    "Godwin" <godwindaniel@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > Hi, i jus recently noticed this issue, this is a new 80GB Hard disk. im
    > running windows xp sp1. when i checked my disk management console i saw
    > that
    > there is a partition which says Healthy(Unknown Partition) along with my 4
    > healthy partitions which i had configured...when i checked in cmd it
    > showed
    > something like this...
    > Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    > -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    > * Disk 0 Online 75 GB 0 B
    >
    > DISKPART> list partition
    >
    > Partition ### Type Size Offset
    > ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    > Partition 1 Primary 19 GB 32 KB
    > Partition 2 Extended 48 GB 19 GB
    > Partition 3 Logical 19 GB 19 GB
    > Partition 4 Logical 19 GB 37 GB
    > Partition 5 Logical 11 GB 56 GB
    > Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB 67 GB
    >
    > when i right click this unknown partition to check properties everything
    > is
    > grayed out. except for delete partition...when i tried del partition the
    > system gave me a error
    > ---------------------------
    > Disk Management
    > ---------------------------
    > The selected partition was not created by Windows and might contain data
    > recognized by other operating systems. Do you want to delete this
    > partition?
    > ---------------------------
    > Yes No
    > ---------------------------
    > so i refrained from deleting until i get some expert advice on
    > this...donno
    > wats that Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB.wanna know if anything can be done,
    > or
    > is it actually the space used by the basic disk.

    If you only need four partitions you might IMHO be better off with four
    primaries. Using disk management delete the extended and re-create three new
    primaries.

    "Godwin" <godwindaniel@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    > Hi, i jus recently noticed this issue, this is a new 80GB Hard disk.
    > im running windows xp sp1. when i checked my disk management
    > console i saw that there is a partition which says Healthy
    > (Unknown Partition) along with my 4 healthy partitions which i
    > had configured...when i checked in cmd it showed something
    > like this...
    > Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    > -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    > * Disk 0 Online 75 GB 0 B
    >
    > DISKPART> list partition
    >
    > Partition ### Type Size Offset
    > ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    > Partition 1 Primary 19 GB 32 KB
    > Partition 2 Extended 48 GB 19 GB
    > Partition 3 Logical 19 GB 19 GB
    > Partition 4 Logical 19 GB 37 GB
    > Partition 5 Logical 11 GB 56 GB
    > Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB 67 GB

    "Healthy (Unknown partition)" is the way most hidden partitions will show up
    in Disk Mgmt. Is it a primary or logical partition? (In Disk Mgmt the
    Extended partition, which contains all the logical partitions, is indicated
    by a green border on that "Disk 0" bar chart. If the unknown partition is
    inside that green border, it's logical. If not, it's primary.) If it's
    primary and this is an OEM disk, it could be a hidden restore partition put
    there by the system manufacturer. If it's a logical partition, or if this
    is a new replacement disk you installed yourself, then that wouldn't be it.

    Diskpart is pretty primitive, so to get a better idea what it is you'll need
    a smarter partition utility that can tell you exactly what the partition
    table says. You didn't say how you created partitions, but it might help to
    know what tools you're working with.

    thanks for the replies, when i check in the diskmanagement the unknown
    healthy partition stands seperate, with a blue border. so i guess its
    primary...the other three are as u said are in a green border...so the C: is
    a primary in blue border the other 3 in a green border and the last one is
    in blue border which is the unknown partition....I created the partitions
    during the OS installation itself.. and this is not a oem computer, i got a
    friend build it for me.....so thats for the paritions..now im seriously
    running into some problem...recently my comp is jus getting powered off by
    itself,sometimes when i start back again it wud say that the boot device was
    not found and when go to the bios to chek the boot devices my harddisk is
    not at all listed there....and sometimes i can smell something burning from
    my hdd or my smps...so i leave it for awhile and it then when i try starting
    it wud give off a chkdisk on my 4th partition which contains windows2003
    server....then loads windows xp normaly....and keeps running normally untill
    i run certain games like maxpayne2 or play a dvd rip off hdd..it jus powers
    down, and i cud smell something burning. my sys has 3.0Ghz p4 HT and then a
    512 ddr...when i load windows successfully after awhile i then check the
    error reports in the event viewer...which r like these

    here are the 3 errors which were listed in the error report in the event
    viewer

    1 - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout
    period.

    2- An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
    operation.

    3 - The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or
    out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

    i jus donno wat to do...cos this problem is intermittent...please help with
    this ..this comp is not even 6 months old...im not sure if its a bad hdd or
    is it bad smps since at time the hdd is not even getting detected by the
    bios..please help!!!

    "Godwin" <godwindaniel@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > Hi, i jus recently noticed this issue, this is a new 80GB Hard disk. im
    > running windows xp sp1. when i checked my disk management console i saw
    that
    > there is a partition which says Healthy(Unknown Partition) along with my 4
    > healthy partitions which i had configured...when i checked in cmd it
    showed
    > something like this...
    > Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    > -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    > * Disk 0 Online 75 GB 0 B
    >
    > DISKPART> list partition
    >
    > Partition ### Type Size Offset
    > ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    > Partition 1 Primary 19 GB 32 KB
    > Partition 2 Extended 48 GB 19 GB
    > Partition 3 Logical 19 GB 19 GB
    > Partition 4 Logical 19 GB 37 GB
    > Partition 5 Logical 11 GB 56 GB
    > Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB 67 GB
    >
    > when i right click this unknown partition to check properties everything
    is
    > grayed out. except for delete partition...when i tried del partition the
    > system gave me a error
    > ---------------------------
    > Disk Management
    > ---------------------------
    > The selected partition was not created by Windows and might contain data
    > recognized by other operating systems. Do you want to delete this
    partition?
    > ---------------------------
    > Yes No
    > ---------------------------
    > so i refrained from deleting until i get some expert advice on
    this...donno
    > wats that Partition 6 Unknown 7625 MB.wanna know if anything can be done,
    or
    > is it actually the space used by the basic disk.

    "Godwin" <godwindaniel@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    > thanks for the replies, when i check in the diskmanagement the unknown
    > healthy partition stands seperate, with a blue border. so i guess its
    > primary...the other three are as u said are in a green border...so the C:
    > is a primary in blue border the other 3 in a green border and the last one
    > is in blue border which is the unknown partition....I created the
    > partitions during the OS installation itself.. and this is not a oem
    > computer, i got a friend build it for me.....

    Okay, if you started with a blank hard disk, then it wouldn't be a
    manufacturer's recovery partition. Just delete the unknown partition. I
    would think diskpart ought to be able to handle that, but if not just grab
    any of a number of freeware partitioning utilities to do it. I'd use Ranish
    Partition Manager, or if you want something a little easier to use, perhaps
    Partition Logic or Swissknife Partitioner may work.

    I can't help with your other problem, but it kind of sounds like you got a
    bad hard disk.

Configuration Partition Hard Drives Windows XP