Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Back Up Storage Travel

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 12:19:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'm getting ready to go on a two week vacation and I'll be taking my
Canon 20D. I have 2 one-gig memory cards and I was just getting ready
to order more for the trip when I thought there has to be a better way.
I was wondering what self-contained portable storage device would serve
my needs.
I have an old laptop but I really don't want to take it with me and
besides even with most programs removed it would only have about 4 gig
of available storage. I would get to review the pictures but that's not
what I want to spend my time doing in Costa Rica.
I'm thinking an external drive that reads CF cards that would store
20 to 40 Gig worth of data. That way I could off load the memory cards
when they are filled and process them when I get home from the trip.
One with a LCD would be nice if the LCD has better resolution then the
one on the 20D and high enough to be useful. Otherwise, I'd review them
when I get home and load them on my computer.
I don't shoot pictures in raw format but the highest-level Jpeg so I
get about 250 pictures on a one-gig card. I was getting ready to buy
another 3 or 4 memory cards equaling 3 gigs when I thought that this
would be a waste of money.

Suggestions would be welcome on the type and model of a device to buy.
Art

More about : back storage travel

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 5:41:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

several companies make photo storage and viewing devices. A 20 gig ipod
will also do this but will not let you view pics
companies such as adorama and B&Hphoto have a fairly good selection of
storage devices. some with lcd displays, some without. ranging from a few
gigs to around 80 gigs.
--


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com


"Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:1104686358.266819.128320@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I'm getting ready to go on a two week vacation and I'll be taking my
> Canon 20D. I have 2 one-gig memory cards and I was just getting ready
> to order more for the trip when I thought there has to be a better way.
> I was wondering what self-contained portable storage device would serve
> my needs.
> I have an old laptop but I really don't want to take it with me and
> besides even with most programs removed it would only have about 4 gig
> of available storage. I would get to review the pictures but that's not
> what I want to spend my time doing in Costa Rica.
> I'm thinking an external drive that reads CF cards that would store
> 20 to 40 Gig worth of data. That way I could off load the memory cards
> when they are filled and process them when I get home from the trip.
> One with a LCD would be nice if the LCD has better resolution then the
> one on the 20D and high enough to be useful. Otherwise, I'd review them
> when I get home and load them on my computer.
> I don't shoot pictures in raw format but the highest-level Jpeg so I
> get about 250 pictures on a one-gig card. I was getting ready to buy
> another 3 or 4 memory cards equaling 3 gigs when I thought that this
> would be a waste of money.
>
> Suggestions would be welcome on the type and model of a device to buy.
> Art
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 6:39:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I'm getting ready to go on a two week vacation and I'll be taking my
> Canon 20D. I have 2 one-gig memory cards and I was just getting ready
> to order more for the trip when I thought there has to be a better way.
> I was wondering what self-contained portable storage device would serve
> my needs.
> I have an old laptop but I really don't want to take it with me and
> besides even with most programs removed it would only have about 4 gig
> of available storage. I would get to review the pictures but that's not
> what I want to spend my time doing in Costa Rica.
> I'm thinking an external drive that reads CF cards that would store
> 20 to 40 Gig worth of data. That way I could off load the memory cards
> when they are filled and process them when I get home from the trip.
> One with a LCD would be nice if the LCD has better resolution then the
> one on the 20D and high enough to be useful. Otherwise, I'd review them
> when I get home and load them on my computer.
> I don't shoot pictures in raw format but the highest-level Jpeg so I
> get about 250 pictures on a one-gig card. I was getting ready to buy
> another 3 or 4 memory cards equaling 3 gigs when I thought that this
> would be a waste of money.
>
> Suggestions would be welcome on the type and model of a device to buy.

In terms of units with screens, the Epson P-2000 is getting rave reviews.
Expect to pay ~ $500 for it.

Here is a list of the various devices out there:
http://fhoude34.free.fr/PortableHD.htm

I have a CompactDrive PD6A (only a status screen) that is much faster at
copying cards than my previous units in the field, and the batteries last quite
some time, but there are some build issues relating to the battery that other
people bring up when it is mentioned.

Three stores that carry a useful range of products (I've bought from the first
two, other people mention the third):
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com
http://insidecomputer.com/
http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

As usual, bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com also have a good selection.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 7:55:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> > Suggestions would be welcome on the type and model of a device to
buy.
>
> In terms of units with screens, the Epson P-2000 is getting rave
reviews.
> Expect to pay ~ $500 for it.
>
> Here is a list of the various devices out there:
> http://fhoude34.free.fr/PortableHD.htm
>
> I have a CompactDrive PD6A (only a status screen) that is much faster
at
> copying cards than my previous units in the field, and the batteries
last quite
> some time, but there are some build issues relating to the battery
that other
> people bring up when it is mentioned.
>
> Three stores that carry a useful range of products (I've bought from
the first
> two, other people mention the third):
> http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com
> http://insidecomputer.com/
> http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/
>
> As usual, bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com also have a good
selection.
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
> http://www.the-meissners.org\


I have checked out several options and the one at the top of the list
so far is either more CF cards and rigorous editing while on the trip
or option 2 which is a Cd Rom writer option. It's small easy to use and
seems to be a decent alternative to me. The problem with this is I only
need this for a trip to Costa Rica. I may just take my old laptop as it
would meet my needs and serve as a viewer also. The problem is it has a
small hard drive so extra space is limited.

Art
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 11:27:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I have checked out several options and the one at the top of the list
> so far is either more CF cards and rigorous editing while on the trip
> or option 2 which is a Cd Rom writer option. It's small easy to use and
> seems to be a decent alternative to me. The problem with this is I only
> need this for a trip to Costa Rica. I may just take my old laptop as it
> would meet my needs and serve as a viewer also. The problem is it has a
> small hard drive so extra space is limited.

Get an external CD or DVD burner for the laptop and dump everything to CD/DVD
(possibly building it with an external USB case and an internal writer). There
has been a price war that has driven the price of DVD burners down recently,
and presumably CD writers are even cheaper.

An alternate solution is to buy either more cards or a portable disk based
unit, and sell it on ebay after you return.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 11:50:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I cleaned up the hard drive of the laptop and that gives me 4.5 gig
plus my 2 cards. The other good news with this is the laptop will allow
me to review and delete pictures far better then the LCD on the 20D.
Art
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 12:37:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1104686358.266819.128320@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> self-contained portable storage device

iPod

<http://www.apple.com/ipod/&gt;

I have had a 40gb iPod for about nine months. I love it.

When I next go on a LONG trip, I'll get the Belkin card reader for it and dump
my 1gb CF cards into it.

FYI: iPod - even iPod Photo - does not DISPLAY photos that have been simply
DUMPED into it. Regardless, it's a GREAT way to listen to your music. *ALL*
of your music. That it can also accommodate other needs, such as a portable
hard-disk drive, is just "icing on the cake".

:) 
JR
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 3:51:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

stewy <stewy@hotmail.com> writes:

> There are stand-alone CD burners out there (no PC required). I
> bought an Apacer Disc Steno last summer to back up the 1gb CF card
> in my Fuji S7000. The other advantage of a stand-alone are they can
> be used the other 11 months of the year as a USB external
> burner. The portable hard-drives tend to sit in a drawer for most of
> the year (unless they're an iPod)

How do they deal with 1GB cards going onto 650MB CDs? I've wondered
about that.

*Big* advantage of burning to CDs is that you can do it more than
once; I'd be nervous having only one copy on a CD or hard drive.
For a big trip, I think I'd send batches of CDs home periodically, and
keep another set with me.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:D d-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/&gt;
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/&gt; <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/&gt;
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/&gt; <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/&gt;
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/&gt;
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 4:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm getting ready to go on a two week vacation and I'll be taking my
> Canon 20D. I have 2 one-gig memory cards and I was just getting ready
> to order more for the trip when I thought there has to be a better way.
> I was wondering what self-contained portable storage device would serve
> my needs.
> I have an old laptop but I really don't want to take it with me and
> besides even with most programs removed it would only have about 4 gig
> of available storage. I would get to review the pictures but that's not
> what I want to spend my time doing in Costa Rica.
> I'm thinking an external drive that reads CF cards that would store
> 20 to 40 Gig worth of data. That way I could off load the memory cards
> when they are filled and process them when I get home from the trip.
> One with a LCD would be nice if the LCD has better resolution then the
> one on the 20D and high enough to be useful. Otherwise, I'd review them
> when I get home and load them on my computer.
> I don't shoot pictures in raw format but the highest-level Jpeg so I
> get about 250 pictures on a one-gig card. I was getting ready to buy
> another 3 or 4 memory cards equaling 3 gigs when I thought that this
> would be a waste of money.
>
> Suggestions would be welcome on the type and model of a device to buy.
> Art
>
There are stand-alone CD burners out there (no PC required). I bought an
Apacer Disc Steno last summer to back up the 1gb CF card in my Fuji S7000.
The other advantage of a stand-alone are they can be used the other 11
months of the year as a USB external burner. The portable hard-drives tend
to sit in a drawer for most of the year (unless they're an iPod)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 4, 2005 4:21:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> stewy <stewy@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> There are stand-alone CD burners out there (no PC required). I
>> bought an Apacer Disc Steno last summer to back up the 1gb CF card
>> in my Fuji S7000. The other advantage of a stand-alone are they can
>> be used the other 11 months of the year as a USB external
>> burner. The portable hard-drives tend to sit in a drawer for most of
>> the year (unless they're an iPod)
>
> How do they deal with 1GB cards going onto 650MB CDs? I've wondered
> about that.

Apacer sells two types. The more expensive one will allow you to divide the
card. I've got the cheaper model. My 1gb CF can store around 210 pix at
12mpxl so I wait until I've got around 150 before moving to a 700mb disc.
The apacer doesn't 'close' the disc so you can keep adding some until it's
full. IMHO this is the best option as these discs are easy to carry and are
extremely cheap and easy to buy.
>
> *Big* advantage of burning to CDs is that you can do it more than
> once; I'd be nervous having only one copy on a CD or hard drive.
> For a big trip, I think I'd send batches of CDs home periodically, and
> keep another set with me.
January 4, 2005 9:01:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 2 Jan 2005 09:19:18 -0800, "Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I'm getting ready to go on a two week vacation and I'll be taking my
>Canon 20D. I have 2 one-gig memory cards and I was just getting ready
>to order more for the trip when I thought there has to be a better way.
>I was wondering what self-contained portable storage device would serve
>my needs.

>
>Suggestions would be welcome on the type and model of a device to buy.
>Art

At some point in your search you may come across a Flashtrax. It looks
nice, and has a nice sized screen to view your pictures, and a good
sized hard drive (40g is maybe the size now - mine is a 20g). Don't
make the mistake of buying one to be able to inspect the quality of
your pictures. The screen resolution is so bad that it serves no
purpose other than to confirm that the pictures made it to the hard
drive. And although it can view RAW pics should you ever need to, it's
so slow as to be unuseable. And the battery life is appalling. It can
barely survive a few hours without having to be plugged in to mains,
and even then I don't trust mine to be able to transfer a 1gb card on
batteries alone.

MJ
!