Best Video card upgrade for current mobo

kaliboy818

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Current processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

Current PSU: A 500 watt unit that came with my RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP. ( I am willing to upgrade this )

Native resolution: 1920 x 1080. Other than everyday use, the only game I will play for now is StarCraft 2.

Budget: around $200 (for a video card)

I was initially looking at a GTX 460 but saw some comments that it doesn't work with my current board. I don't know anything about ATI cards, please reference your ATI recommendations to NVIDIA equivalent cards.

If my board can only take cards that are substantially lower than a GTX 460 level card, then I will probably move towards a building a new system built around a i5 750 and a GTX 460 level card. Budget for that is $800 to $1,000.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Looking over the parts you picked out in that thread I would say you did a good job. I would recommend going with the SLI motherboard as the GTX 460 scales very well and it will be a good option to have as an upgrade path. The power supply you picked out can also handle two GTX 460s easily. Also for your resolution I would recommend going for the 1gb GTX 460.
If you really don't want the option of SLI in the future then you can save some money by downgrading the PSU a bit as it is overkill for that system with one card.
You don't really need the aftermarket CPU cooler and I actually do recommend overclocking. There is no reason not to and that processor OCs easily and well. Even on the stock cooler something in the 3.3-3.5ghz should be fine. Also if you do OC you can save a lil money by going for the i5-750 as it is the same processor with a slightly lower stock speed which is irrelevant once you OC.