Sign in with
Your question
Closed

On a budget: P6100 / P6200 vs. i3 / i5 / i7

Last response: in CPUs
November 30, 2010 2:38:33 AM

Hi -

Any reason I could not upgrade a P6100 CPU-equipped laptop with an i5 580M CPU? These appear to be pin, thermal, FSB, and voltage compatible. It seems unlikely that the multiplier would pose a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_micr...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_micr...

Background: I am a small business owner and need to order about 10-12 laptops, refreshing the T41p lenovos we are currently using. I am interested in in the HP G62t laptop or equivalent. I would like the least expensive "current platform" laptops I can get. A P6100 is about 400% the speed of a Pentium M 1.7GHz and appears to use the same platform as the latest i3 and i5 cpus. an i5-580M or i7-620M or i7 640M all seem like logical choices, nearly doubling the speed, but would add $250-$300 to my system cost today, or $20-$30 in about 3 years.

Advice appreciated.

More about : budget p6100 p6200

November 30, 2010 2:49:53 AM

As you probably already have considered, it depends on what you plan to use those laptops for. If for business applications like MS Office, internet, e-mail, and web based apps, a dual core Pentium is enough processor. If for video editing and engineering graphics then get the core i3 or i5. There is not a real fast difference that I have seen between these two classes of processors in "real-world" use. The core i3 and i5 may be more energy efficient and use RAM better than the older ones.
Score
November 30, 2010 1:47:08 PM

Hi - thanks for your thoughts. My question about p6100 vs i3 is not "which is better", but rather are these fully interchangeable CPUs within most (if not all) implementations, such as in the G62t HP laptop?

What is considered acceptable performance today is not acceptable in a few years. Even the P6100 has about 20x the processing power, memory and disk space of our company's PD server from the late 90's!

I'd like a path to upgrade the laptop after 3 years, as I maintain a ~5-6 year IT refresh cycle. In 3 years, the laptops will all be out of warranty anyway, so I don't mind popping open cases and upgrading them as such then.

Many thanks!
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 30, 2010 10:40:20 PM

Do you know how to solder? you can't change the CPU in a laptop unless you can "weave" solder or something, without messing up the mobo/ram and whats not... (unless stated you can)

I think your out of luck my man :( 
Score
December 1, 2010 8:32:04 AM

CsG_kieran_2 said:
Do you know how to solder? you can't change the CPU in a laptop unless you can "weave" solder or something, without messing up the mobo/ram and whats not... (unless stated you can) I think your out of luck my man :( 

Hmm. Is this new for the Nehalem (p6100, i3, i5, etc.) architecture? I've swapped many a CPU in major brand laptops (Compaq, HP, IBM/Lenovo). I don't have a G62t (or equivalent platform) at my disposal or a technician's manual. Page 134/260 in the IBM T4x Hardware Maintenance Manual shows how to release the Pentium M CPU from its socket with only a flat-bladed screwdriver turning the lock 90deg to release the CPU from its socket.

Can the P6100, i3, etc. be removed easily and without soldering, particularly in the G62t HP platform?

Thanks --
Score
December 1, 2010 10:48:02 AM

To be fair I really don't know about that. BUT I will look out an experts opinion for you :) 
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2010 3:40:27 PM

Old laptops had processors with sockets, so they were replaceable.
Modern laptops from last years have the processor soldered by surface
mount. They are not designed to be replaced, you will need to be really
expert soldering to be able to successfully replace one of them.

In summary, in a modern laptop you can upgrade memory, hard disk and
replace wireless cards, but you can not change the processor.

If you want a longer replacement cycle, buy the better laptop within your budget,
in this case choose i3/i5 if you can afford it to better cover unanticipated future
needs. For your current needs the P6100 should be enough.
Score
January 3, 2011 4:37:31 AM

Yes if it is a PGA988 Socket which it most likely is and can probably be upgraded to atleat an i7-640M. If I recall if the i core processor name ends with an M it is not embedded
Score
!