Help me choose New Video Card

Justin2383

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
After 3 years my 8800GT finally died on me. I bought a Radeon HD 5670 and was wondering if they was anything esle better in the 200$ range. I play on a 24 inch screen too.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/20/2010, 16:35:18
Machine name: JUSTIN-3C0D586F
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: alienware
System Model: alienware
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 2814MB RAM

Pointless info removed

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I had and have had no issues with either Nvidia or ATI drivers, just don't update card everytime a new driver comes out, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I originally installed the 10.3 Catalyst drivers and that is still what's in the system, why? because they work and work fine in every game I play. would I like to see increase in framerate in some games? sure, but for the amount of increase, it's not worth the trouble, and trust me, you can get bad issues with nvidia too, remember the driver that stopped fans from working on Nvidia video cards? Nvidia was responsible for like millions in replacements do to bad drivers, so blaming ATI for bad drivers is just bad form, ATI drivers never caused fans on cards to stop, think about it. PS, I have both Nvidia and ATI cards, don't have a care as I want cards that do the work, my 6800GT OC works like a charm, haven't updated drivers in a year, and my 5770 is like amazing, choose the fastest for the games "you" play at the cheapest price, everyone has preferences but do you play exactly what everyone else is playing? i like too play card games too and I will say this, 2D apps and games run smoother on the ATI card then on the Nvidia Cards (also tested with 260Gts). So asks yourself what you will be doing most of the time, playing games or a little of everything (blogging, reading, card games, video playback, blu-ray....) Like Ct said, also find something that your current PSU supports, otherwise that will need to be changed.