Sign in with
Your question

SSD for the money

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 1:20:10 AM

hi all, decided to purchase a SSD(128GB) and im trying to figure out which should i get.

im currently thinking of crucial m4 or ocz vertex 4 or Samsung 830.

my price range is about 100-130. but if it's worth it i can put a couple more.

thank you

More about : ssd money

a c 102 G Storage
December 17, 2012 1:29:13 AM

If its just going to be a standard OS drive, the get the Samsung 830. It has the fastest read speeds and since that's essentially all an OS drive does, its more suited.

if its going to have a lot of data moving through it (like the output drive for video editing or a scratch disk), then get the Vertex 4. Its faster write speeds will help it in this application.

The Crucial M4 is a bit long in the tooth, the others are newer and faster.
m
l
December 17, 2012 1:36:41 AM

manofchalk said:
If its just going to be a standard OS drive, the get the Samsung 830. It has the fastest read speeds and since that's essentially all an OS drive does, its more suited.

if its going to have a lot of data moving through it (like the output drive for video editing or a scratch disk), then get the Vertex 4. Its faster write speeds will help it in this application.

The Crucial M4 is a bit long in the tooth, the others are newer and faster.

thanks for the reply, i will probably just be using it for games and programs but what is difference between 830 and the 840?

it's probably faster but is it worth the extra cash?
m
l
Related resources
a c 102 G Storage
December 17, 2012 1:45:25 AM

The 840 is actually a step down from the 830, unless you can afford the 840 Pro, then you'l have the best SSD on the market.

But I wouldn't say its worth the extra cash.
m
l
!