Updating to 10.7

sirbuster223

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
So, the new ATI drivers came out a couple days ago. And for some reason my computer is not letting me install them what so ever. Everytime try to install the driver it says the installer is not responding and it has to be shut down.

I was hoping there was a fix for this... :(

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Are you installing it with Administrative rights ? If not then try it that way, and if that doesn't work re-download the drivers and try again. I've never ran into a driver issue like this on my system.
Before I forget to ask what are your system specifications ? Knowing those will also help and others that view this thread. :p

sirbuster223

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

I have two 5770's crossfired right now.
Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 925 quad core cpu overclocked to 3.0 ghz
Western Digital caviar black 1tb hdd
2 gigs 1600 G-SKILL RAM
Corsair 650 watt psu
Windows 7 home 64 bit

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Did you run ATIs uninstaller ? I do that every time before I install a new driver just so that I don't create driver related issues. The ATI Catalyst installer gives you the option to uninstall the old drivers before you install the new ones, if you can get that far into it then I'd do that.

Also is this the only version of there drivers that does this ? If so then use an older drivers installer to uninstall your current drivers, and if you still can't install them after that use the device manager to install the drivers.

You should be able to navigate to the 10.7 drivers in the device manager, just select your card and right click it an hit the Update Drivers Software then select Browse my Computer for Driver Software. After that just goto where you have your 10.7 drivers an select them as the driver you want installed and you should be good from there on.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
you can manually install the drivers from device manager(control panel).For this you will have to manually locate the requested files into the folder in which you have extracted your catalyst drivers.It successfully updated my drivers to 10.7 but without any catalyst control center.Whenever I try to install CCC it stops responding!!!

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

Not to be a troll but you basically just said what I did above :eek: and with that said its irrelevant to repeat something thats already been said. :p

An to address your own issue try uninstalling the ATI Drivers completely with ATI's uninstaller, that is unless it freezes before you get to the point where it asks if you want to install or uninstall ? Also if your using ATI Tray Tools it can cause driver issues so uninstall that before installing/uninstalling new drivers.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Yes,I agree.

and with that said its irrelevant to repeat something thats already been said. :p
but with that I said about the Catalyst Control Centre and not about Catalyst Installer as no one said anything about Catalyst Control Center.

An to address your own issue try uninstalling the ATI Drivers completely with ATI's uninstaller, that is unless it freezes before you get to the point where it asks if you want to install or uninstall ? Also if your using ATI Tray Tools it can cause driver issues so uninstall that before installing/uninstalling new drivers.

I've tried everything in order to install the catalyst control center.I could not uninstall the older catalyst driver because the catalyst installer won't even start.So I had to use driver sweeper in safe mode to remove all traces of ATI.But still due to some reason the Catalyst Installer won't start.

Apparently there seems to be only three solutions to this problem:
1.Using system restore
2.or Install only the display driver with device manger. Catalyst Control Center can't be installed.
3.or Install fresh copy of windows and everything works perfectly.

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

If you don't have a ton of things to backup (Game files/movies etc etc) then I would do a fresh install, or even if you do have a ton of files to back but have a 2nd HDD use that for storage (If not already :p) then reinstall your OS. :D I almost never use system restore unless I'm blindsided by a virus or trojan, and most the time with drivers like CCC its another driver conflicting with it that causes the problems.