eMachine laptops? Good buy?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 20, 2004 10:50:09 AM

Ive never owned a laptop before.

Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
if they are excellent "values?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 1:53:06 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>
> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
> if they are excellent "values?

Work fine. Don't know how durable they are. Note that emachines and
Gateway have merged--the same products are sometimes available under both
brands, and there are some items available in stores under the Gateway
brand that are not available on the Gateway web site.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I've heard excellent things from the ppl over on hardforum.com .
<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>
> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
> if they are excellent "values?
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 2:49:46 PM

I have a friend who uses one daily for all of his work, he loves it and
I believe its a good value laptop if your planning on using it for
basic operations.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 10:15:54 PM

Dan wrote:

> I've heard excellent things from the ppl over on hardforum.com .

I should have mentioned, I have one of their AMD64 models and it works a
treat. Only thing I'd change I think would be to go to a faster disk--I'm
undecided on how badly I want that.

> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>>
>> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
>> if they are excellent "values?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 10:15:55 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> writes:
> I should have mentioned, I have one of their AMD64 models and it
> works a treat. Only thing I'd change I think would be to go to a
> faster disk--I'm undecided on how badly I want that.

I keep thinking people overestimate the effect of higher disk speed in
laptops. Track to track seek time tends to be about the same in
laptop drives regardless of the rotational speed. Faster rotation
means higher transfer speed at the same bit density, but going to a
higher capacity drive may get the higher transfer rate at the same
rotation speed by simply having increased the bit density.

Most of all, if the disk is a bottleneck, the application is probably
using the disk too much, and could benefit from re-engineering or
running from a ramdisk or something. 1 or 2 GB was a lot of disk
space not all that long ago. Software functionality hasn't really
changed all that much since those days. But today, high-end laptops
often have 1 or 2 GB of actual ram with close to zero latency compared
with disks. So, the software has to be doing something clumsy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 12:44:16 AM

I own a M6807 laptop and it's the best laptop that I've owned. It's fast and
easy to use. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get one.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>
> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
> if they are excellent "values?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 7:30:29 AM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>
> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
> if they are excellent "values?

I've had two, I upgraded when the Athlon 64 models came out. I think
that they're a good value. You can't find a similarly specced laptop
for near the price. The A64 models are pretty heavy though, they're
more a desktop replacement than something you'd want to carry a lot.
Screen quality is good, and although the Radeon 9600 isn't the newest
and best anymore, it's still adequate for gaming.

I'd buy one again.

Lisa
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 10:40:49 AM

I agree! I have the m6805, and it runs great...after you put in the
updates BIOS from Gateway. Gateway has apparently purchased e-machines
in a leverage buyout, and they are now selling these things with the
Gateway logo on them! I've played DOOM III on this thing until I was
falling asleep! Great machine, but you will need to update the BIOS for
improved performance. Plus it looks kind of cool when your e-machine
boots up with a Gateway screen.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 2:33:15 PM

krys.beal@gmail.com wrote:

> I agree! I have the m6805, and it runs great...after you put in the
> updates BIOS from Gateway. Gateway has apparently purchased e-machines
> in a leverage buyout, and they are now selling these things with the
> Gateway logo on them! I've played DOOM III on this thing until I was
> falling asleep! Great machine, but you will need to update the BIOS for
> improved performance. Plus it looks kind of cool when your e-machine
> boots up with a Gateway screen.

Where did you get the Gateway BIOS? I have an M6810 bios I was going to
use on my M6809, but if there's a better one, I would of course be
interested.

Lisa
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 5:24:20 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>
> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
> if they are excellent "values?

Great laptops. See www.pcmag.com review - the M68xx series they
tested was, at that time, the fastest notebook they ever reviewed. Many
uses on the eMachines forums love the baby!
http://www.dexplor.com/phpBB2/index.php

It's a bargain for the price, and certainly fast enough to game and
play all day long.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 11:34:11 PM

Guys, all I know about E-Machine notebooks is that a lot of employees seem
to show up at Diedrick's coffee in Tustin, Ca trying out the computer and
wifi. They seem to be pretty nice. No one will tell me what the employee
discount is, but 5 I've met say it's a really good deal.

Your comments are interesting, and I'll look into emachines further. I
looked up the extended warranty and it seems to be $180 for three years.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Ive never owned a laptop before.
>
> Curious what everyone thinks abt eMachines laptops and
> if they are excellent "values?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 12:47:01 AM

Kevin wrote:

> Guys, all I know about E-Machine notebooks is that a lot of employees seem
> to show up at Diedrick's coffee in Tustin, Ca trying out the computer and
> wifi. They seem to be pretty nice. No one will tell me what the employee
> discount is, but 5 I've met say it's a really good deal.
>
> Your comments are interesting, and I'll look into emachines further. I
> looked up the extended warranty and it seems to be $180 for three years.

Do check on rebates before you buy, unless you're getting that employee
discount. The rebates can be pretty good. I bought an M6810 for my
partner's mother, and got $250 back on a $1400 computer, making it not a
good deal, but a GREAT deal.

Lisa
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:47:01 AM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> krys.beal@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I agree! I have the m6805, and it runs great...after you put in the
>> updates BIOS from Gateway. Gateway has apparently purchased e-machines
>> in a leverage buyout, and they are now selling these things with the
>> Gateway logo on them! I've played DOOM III on this thing until I was
>> falling asleep! Great machine, but you will need to update the BIOS for
>> improved performance. Plus it looks kind of cool when your e-machine
>> boots up with a Gateway screen.
>
> Where did you get the Gateway BIOS? I have an M6810 bios I was going to
> use on my M6809, but if there's a better one, I would of course be
> interested.

<http://www.rmecc.com/~v2/em/index.html&gt;

Watch out for the NS BIOS--while they work they break the power meter--your
battery shows as dead even when it's fully charged. Not a problem, really,
just an annoyance.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
December 22, 2004 11:12:09 AM

>Great laptops. See www.pcmag.com review - the M68xx series they
>tested was, at that time, the fastest notebook they ever reviewed. Many
>uses on the eMachines forums love the baby!
>http://www.dexplor.com/phpBB2/index.php
>
> It's a bargain for the price, and certainly fast enough to game and
>play all day long.

OK

But which model eMachine laptop is the one that is not
so much a "desktop replacement".... as it is a semi
mobile unit say for s college student?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 2:22:59 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>Great laptops. See www.pcmag.com review - the M68xx series they
>>tested was, at that time, the fastest notebook they ever reviewed. Many
>>uses on the eMachines forums love the baby!
>>http://www.dexplor.com/phpBB2/index.php
>>
>> It's a bargain for the price, and certainly fast enough to game and
>>play all day long.
>
> OK
>
> But which model eMachine laptop is the one that is not
> so much a "desktop replacement".... as it is a semi
> mobile unit say for s college student?

A friend's 18 year old daughter just took an m1611 to school with her and
she's happy with it. "Desktop replacement" doesn't mean "not mobile".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 2:23:21 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> >Great laptops. See www.pcmag.com review - the M68xx series they
> >tested was, at that time, the fastest notebook they ever reviewed. Many
> >uses on the eMachines forums love the baby!
> >http://www.dexplor.com/phpBB2/index.php
> >
> > It's a bargain for the price, and certainly fast enough to game and
> >play all day long.
>
> OK
>
> But which model eMachine laptop is the one that is not
> so much a "desktop replacement".... as it is a semi
> mobile unit say for s college student?

I would say that desktop replacement actually means semi mobile. To
put it another way, machines that are so heavy (and sometimes large) as
to be only semi portable are usually powerful enough to be considered
desktop replacements.

I do carry mine with me at times, in a Samsonite L35 case that fits so
perfectly it's like it's made for the M68XX. But it's not small and
light enough to bring with me ALL the time. Then again, I have a Palm
device for that.

Lisa
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 2:24:31 PM

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Lisa Horton wrote:
>

> > krys.beal@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree! I have the m6805, and it runs great...after you put in the
> >> updates BIOS from Gateway. Gateway has apparently purchased e-machines
> >> in a leverage buyout, and they are now selling these things with the
> >> Gateway logo on them! I've played DOOM III on this thing until I was
> >> falling asleep! Great machine, but you will need to update the BIOS for
> >> improved performance. Plus it looks kind of cool when your e-machine
> >> boots up with a Gateway screen.
> >
> > Where did you get the Gateway BIOS? I have an M6810 bios I was going to
> > use on my M6809, but if there's a better one, I would of course be
> > interested.
>
> <http://www.rmecc.com/~v2/em/index.html&gt;
>
> Watch out for the NS BIOS--while they work they break the power meter--your
> battery shows as dead even when it's fully charged. Not a problem, really,
> just an annoyance.

Thanks John, I'll check it out. I just flashed my M6809 BIOS with one
from an M6810 and applied SP2. Since SP2 didn't cause problems on the
unit the BIOS is from, I'm hopeful...

Lisa
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 5:40:56 PM

> But which model eMachine laptop is the one that is not
> so much a "desktop replacement".... as it is a semi
> mobile unit say for s college student?

None. They're all 6+ lbs and none of them have ever gone below that.

You do have two versions -- the older, original design (thinner,
lighter) you can still buy for <$1000 at tigerdirect.com which uses just
the regular Athlon processor, and the latest M68xx series (thicker,
heavier) which you can buy for ~$1500 and uses the latest Athlon 64
processor (faster).

If you're looking for cheap, usable for college work, and lighter, my
recommend would be the Averatec sold at Staples at ~4lbs for <$1000.
This is the best (4 stars or so at PC Mag) light weight notebook around,
and it does all the basics well (even tried it here).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 8:55:22 PM

A rebate will sway me or at least finance the extended warranty, so thanks

"Lisa Horton" <Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote in message
> Do check on rebates before you buy, unless you're getting that employee
> discount. The rebates can be pretty good. I bought an M6810 for my
> partner's mother, and got $250 back on a $1400 computer, making it not a
> good deal, but a GREAT deal.
>
> Lisa
December 23, 2004 10:52:43 AM

>If you're looking for cheap, usable for college work, and lighter, my
>recommend would be the Averatec sold at Staples at ~4lbs for <$1000.
>This is the best (4 stars or so at PC Mag) light weight notebook around,
>and it does all the basics well (even tried it here).

OK thanks

I will check out the averatecs
!