Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with intermittant lockups on new machine

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2010 9:21:36 PM

I just built myself a new system recently but it's been plagued with strange lockups. I've set it up for dual boot and have noted the issue in both Linux and Windows 7 so I believe it to be a hardware based issue. The system will just lock up and appears to get stuck in some soft of constant loop. If I'm playing a video or sound file, it will just play stick playing the same note until I physically reset the power. There are no error logs of any sort generated. There is no rhyme or reason for this lockup. It happens at random times and without warning. It may go for a week without a problem and then have two or three in a row. The system specs are as follows...

Asus M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon x4 965 Processor (Black Box Edition)
Diamond Brand Radeon HD4670 with 1,024 MB GDDR3 Ram Video Card
8 GB of PC13300 speed RAM (4 x 2 GB)
One 250 Gb Sata Drive
One 500 Gb Sata Drive
One 1 Tb Sata Drive
One sata DVD-RW Drive
Acer 24" LCD Display
Zalman CPU Cooler
Antec Case
500 Watt Power Supply

I have verified with AMD that the motherboard has the most recent BIOS update available installed.
I have verified that the CPU is not running too hot (in fact with the Zalman cooler, it's staying well within normal range)

I have already replaced the motherboard once and also the video card (it was an upgrade anyways) but the problem still persist. When the system runs, it's great. I'm just not able to figure out what is causing this intermittant lockup and it's very frustrating. I'm going to upgrade the power supply on it although I don't think that's it. (It's plugged into a good battery backup and it's not beeped once.)

Can anyone recommend a way to narrow down where the issue is at? I'd hate to start having to swap out CPU's and all that. If I have to I'll change the CPU and RAM but I'm trying to avoid the extra expense. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
September 7, 2010 9:28:44 PM

I would have just installed one operating system to ensure everything worked then installed the other.
m
l
September 7, 2010 9:37:26 PM

I did originally just have windows 7 on the machine. I decided to add the second OS later and honestly use linux more than windows now. But it locks up like this regardless of the OS. I only added that to support my theory that it's not about the OS or software. I believe it to be a hardware issue.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2010 9:42:56 PM

Try the one only theory with the hard drives and RAM. Start with just one boot drive and one 2Gb of RAM and see if this helps. Also, if you have an older graphics card, try this instead of the Radeon.

Also, what make is your PSU?
m
l
September 7, 2010 10:19:12 PM

The PSU is the Antec that came with the case. I have already tested each of the memory chips and ran memory chip diagnostics from the motherboard. The memory tested just fine. I'm more prone to thinking the CPU or PSU. But I guess at this point, it may become a game of replacing them one at a time. I suppose if I wind up with extra parts, I could always build a second box. LOL

On the memory, I didn't buy the ECC memory which is something that I've bought in the past. If I have to replace it, I will likely replace the chips with ECC memory.
m
l
September 8, 2010 7:53:45 AM

doive1231 said:
Try the one only theory with the hard drives and RAM. Start with just one boot drive and one 2Gb of RAM and see if this helps. Also, if you have an older graphics card, try this instead of the Radeon.

Also, what make is your PSU?

It sounds like a memory issue.
m
l
!