Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002

What kernel are you using for UT2k4? And what distro and libstdc++ version?

Reason I ask is (so far) I've not been able to run it under FC4 due to
an incompatible libstdc++ version (libstdc++.so.6 vs. libstdc++.so.5,
which is what UT wants...). Have you or anyone you know run into this?
If so, how was it fixed? ...hopefully short of major install surgery...
--
-->earthdog

earthdog46 --at-- yahoo =dot= com

Meltdown

earthdog enlightened us with:
> What kernel are you using for UT2k4?

Linux schuimige 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Fri Jun 24 16:53:01 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

> And what distro

Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary)

> and libstdc++ version?

||/ Name Version Description
ii libstdc++5 3.3.5-8ubuntu2 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii libstdc++5-3.3 3.3.5-8ubuntu2 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development
ii libstdc++6 4.0.0-7ubuntu6 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii libstdc++6-dev 3.4.3-9ubuntu4 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development

> Reason I ask is (so far) I've not been able to run it under FC4 due
> to an incompatible libstdc++ version (libstdc++.so.6 vs.
> libstdc++.so.5, which is what UT wants...).

As you see above, you should be able to install multiple versions. At
least on Debian based systems, that is.

> Have you or anyone you know run into this?

I never had this kind of problem, but I'd try installing libstdc++5.
The nice things about unix libraries is that the library version is
part of the filename, so you can have multiple versions of a library
installed.

MeltDown
--

Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002

MeltDown wrote:

> I never had this kind of problem, but I'd try installing libstdc++5.
> The nice things about unix libraries is that the library version is
> part of the filename, so you can have multiple versions of a library
> installed.
>
> MeltDown

Thanks. I appreciate it. Never knew about the multi libs on the same
system. Going hunting for ver. 5 now...

--

-->earthdog46

earthdog46 --a|t-- yahoo ==do|t== com

But i'd just like to add that.. the Nice people at Ubuntu just sent me a
free stack of disks, some of which i've passed out to the guys in the studio
at work, and the others I'm going to stash untill i need them (next system
upgrade) :)

just how do they do that, how can they afford to give away stacks of nicely
packaged CD's ?

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> earthdog enlightened us with:
>> What kernel are you using for UT2k4?
>
> Linux schuimige 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Fri Jun 24 16:53:01 UTC 2005 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
>> And what distro
>
> Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary)
>
>> and libstdc++ version?

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name Version Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii libstdc++5 3.3.5-8ubuntu2 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
> ii libstdc++5-3.3 3.3.5-8ubuntu2 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
> (development
> ii libstdc++6 4.0.0-7ubuntu6 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
> ii libstdc++6-dev 3.4.3-9ubuntu4 The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
> (development
>
>> Reason I ask is (so far) I've not been able to run it under FC4 due
>> to an incompatible libstdc++ version (libstdc++.so.6 vs.
>> libstdc++.so.5, which is what UT wants...).
>
> As you see above, you should be able to install multiple versions. At
> least on Debian based systems, that is.
>
>> Have you or anyone you know run into this?
>
> I never had this kind of problem, but I'd try installing libstdc++5.
> The nice things about unix libraries is that the library version is
> part of the filename, so you can have multiple versions of a library
> installed.
>
> MeltDown
> --

Meltdown

kAUSTiK enlightened us with:
> just how do they do that, how can they afford to give away stacks of
> nicely packaged CD's ?

There is a really rich guy behind the Ubuntu project, with a good
sense of how to spend his money.

He also spent a few million to pay a visit to the MIR ;-)

MeltDown

MIR ?

I had heard something about the guy owning something big online and selling
it.

> kAUSTiK enlightened us with:
>> just how do they do that, how can they afford to give away stacks of
>> nicely packaged CD's ?
>
> There is a really rich guy behind the Ubuntu project, with a good
> sense of how to spend his money.
>
> He also spent a few million to pay a visit to the MIR ;-)
>
> MeltDown

I thought thats what you meant LOL, but wasn't sure!

:D

> kAUSTiK enlightened us with:
>> MIR ?
>
> Yes, as in the russian space thingy.
>
> MeltDown
> --

danno

On 2005-07-19, MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote:
> kAUSTiK enlightened us with:
>> just how do they do that, how can they afford to give away stacks of
>> nicely packaged CD's ?
>
> There is a really rich guy behind the Ubuntu project, with a good
> sense of how to spend his money.

Solar-powered Linux: Slackware 10.0, 2.6.12, Averatec 3250H1 w/accel S3Uni
RLU#272755