Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Old chassis getting HOT

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2010 12:22:24 PM

Hi all,
Recently, I put a quard core AMD and a HD 6850 into my super old AMD K7 style chassis. It has one 80mm fan in front and a 60mm fan at the fan, near where the CPU is. (its loud as hell now with all these fans and the CM PSU)

The chassis is a mid tower that can hold mobos with 6 PCI slot and the power supply is at the top.
My problem is that the PC gets really warm after 1 or 2 hours of web surfing and if I play games, you can even feel the hot air blowing at your legs when standing 10cm behind the PC. However, so far 2 full days of gaming produced no crashes or error.

I read that newer chassis are better for cooling, will I benefit by switching? I would only do so if it do help the air flow by A LOT (like preventing the chassis itself from getting very warm), as my parents are not very keen of me playing around with the PC (student here :D ) and I just used up my little budget on the 6850.

thanks thanks

More about : chassis hot

November 30, 2010 12:47:52 PM

Sure it will help
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2010 12:57:26 PM

I reckon so! Look at the Antec 300 for a reasonably cheap case with vastly superior cooling.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2010 1:15:02 PM

you can get a decent case with excellent airflow for as little as $50... You could try one of the below suggestions...

Under $50 (price source newegg)
Antec Two Hundred V2 - Comes with 2 fans and 3 optional fans for $50
Rosewill Destroyer - comes with three 120mm fans and two optional fans at the side for $40
NZXT Beta Evo - Comes with one fan and optional 6 fans for $40
Silverstone Precision PS05-B - Comes with one fan and optional 4 120mm fans for $40
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition - comes with one fan and can support 3 additional 120mm fans for $25

Recommending the last one (its $25 !!!)
November 30, 2010 1:31:42 PM

Ah...I would love to get that TT casing, but I just checked and my local suppliers do not sell Tt products anymore, probably because their bad reputation over the years....

Anyway, do you guys recommend me to go with PC casings with fans mounted on the top? If it helps cooling considerable then I would go with it, because I saw a decent case with 2 12cms fans, one infront and one behind.
If those fans do help, then I guess I would go with CM elite 370

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...

Its the only cheap case I have found so far with fans mounted ontop.

thanks
November 30, 2010 1:51:02 PM

What's your budget? This'll help determine what the best bang for buck case you can get is.
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2010 2:36:45 PM

take the side off, get a dremel, cut a hole the same diameter as a quiet 120mm fan, 4 screw holes and set it up to exhaust, cost you a couple of ££ and you can add as many you need, hell, you could even do it the top of the case.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2010 6:27:19 AM

having fans at the top is definitely a plus!!! remember warm air rises up so even if you have a rear fan there will be latent warm air at the top which should be exhausted out... if you are having more than 1 fan at the top then position the coolers exhaust facing the top so it intakes cool air from the bottom and exhausts towards the top fans...

CM Elite 370 is a good choice... for $50 TT V3 would have been great but since its not available to you i would suggest Silverstone Precision for $40 and 2-3 extra fans for $20-30... both precision and elite 370 have the same number of fans bays but precision looks cooler and is more solid...
December 4, 2010 6:46:46 AM

Just posting back to let anyone interested know, i bought the CM elite 370 case. Nice case, but the down side is that it comes with only 1 fan at the back, I think it should provide 2 instead.

Anyway, my case is really cool now, it's much quieter (PSU fan doesnt spin up that often and the 12CM fan that comes with the case is quiet) compared to my old case. So buying a well ventilated case helps cooling by A LOT, so it's worth the money.

Anyway, thanks for all the help :D 
December 4, 2010 6:47:03 AM

Best answer selected by anuclearbomb.
a b ) Power supply
a b À AMD
December 4, 2010 9:49:58 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!