New non gaming desktop

amitkhanna

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hi guys,

I wanted to build a desktop and want it to be good enough for 2-3 yrs(upgradable). This is what I gathered from forums and google:

Processor: Quad core I5 750
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3r
Graphics card: Anything good for movies and occasional game playing and some 3d modeling & rendering & compositing work

These are the main parts of concern to me...

I went in to purchase these but couldn't find Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3r. Rather the sales guy gave me P55-US3L and Sapphire ATI Radeon 4350 1gb( I am really not sure about this one.. as I have always used nvidia till date). I got the processor though.

Now I am not sure whether these two are any good, I can still return/replace them...

Any pointers on whats the difference between
GA-P55-UD3r and GA-P55-UD3p. Which one is better?

Please help me finalizing the decision. Really appreciate you response.

Thanks a lot,
ak

Solution
gigabyte is the #1 or #2 Mobo maker, generally, they don't do bad boards. The only real difference between those boards will be features: How many pci/pci-e x1/pci-e x16 slots, number of SATA controllers, micro-atx vs regular atx, etc.

at $90-100, you can afford to get the AMD 4850 or 4870 DDR5 GPUs, or AMD 5670 if you want DX11. On the NVidia sidem, a 250GTS card runs about that price as well, with DDR3, or a 240 with DDR5

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
What are you using it for in terms of gaming? What resolution and what games? Links and a full component list would be awesome.

In my opinion you'd probably be better off with an AMD x6 build, especially as you're keeping it for ~2 years.

amitkhanna

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Hi,

Apart from processor n Mobo:
Hard Disk: 500Gb
RAM: 2gb DDR 3 for now(will upgrade later)
Graphics Card: Not at all sure which one to go for
----------------------------------------------------------
Processor: I5 Quad core 750
Motherboard: GA-P55-UD3r and GA-P55-UD3p

Plus rest of the parts like kbd, mouse, moniter but main my concern is Processor, Mobo and Graphics card..

Wont be using for any games at the moment but I liked the graphics of Assasin Creed on you tube while searching for ATI Radeon HD 4350 1Gb. This guy shows the game play using the same card. I am not into too much gaming but every now and then play random games.

Though I would use it for some architectural viz in 3ds max + compositing in After Effects.

But I really liked the Gigabyte Motherboards GA-P55-UD3r and GA-P55-UD3p for all the features it has..

amitkhanna

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
if we leave apart gaming and rendering at the moment... Is Gigabyte motherboard P55-US3L any good ? as in processor & memory efficiency etc...

Budget is around $200 for Mobo & $90-100 for graphics

Thanks guys
ak

gigabyte is the #1 or #2 Mobo maker, generally, they don't do bad boards. The only real difference between those boards will be features: How many pci/pci-e x1/pci-e x16 slots, number of SATA controllers, micro-atx vs regular atx, etc.

at $90-100, you can afford to get the AMD 4850 or 4870 DDR5 GPUs, or AMD 5670 if you want DX11. On the NVidia sidem, a 250GTS card runs about that price as well, with DDR3, or a 240 with DDR5

Solution

amitkhanna

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Hi there,

Sorry got busy with a project but I am back now and will be going in tomorrow to get rest of the parts.

I am assuming you suggested AMD 1055t x6 processor over Intel Quad core I5 750/760... Is there any particular reason why you suggest AMD x6 build over intel i-5 ?

I have eventually finalized Gigabyte P55-USB3 motherboard over P55-US3L as USB3 bears 2 USB3 ports.. though GA-P55A-UD3R also have 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors with USB3.

I guess I will also need a different SATA 6Gb/s compatible HDD.. Am I correct (sales guy sold me WD 7200 rpm 500Gb)?

I chose Radeon HD 5450 as I wont be using this computer for gaming and will mostly be for movies, so this card looks good as it is sound less, low power consumption card & inexpensive.

Please suggest the minimum Power Supply I should go for.

Thanks a lot,
ak