Solved

New non gaming desktop

Hi guys,

I wanted to build a desktop and want it to be good enough for 2-3 yrs(upgradable). This is what I gathered from forums and google:

Processor: Quad core I5 750
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3r
Graphics card: Anything good for movies and occasional game playing and some 3d modeling & rendering & compositing work

These are the main parts of concern to me...

I went in to purchase these but couldn't find Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3r. Rather the sales guy gave me P55-US3L and Sapphire ATI Radeon 4350 1gb( I am really not sure about this one.. as I have always used nvidia till date). I got the processor though.

Now I am not sure whether these two are any good, I can still return/replace them...

Any pointers on whats the difference between
GA-P55-UD3r and GA-P55-UD3p. Which one is better?

Please help me finalizing the decision. Really appreciate you response.

Thanks a lot,
ak
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming desktop
  1. What are you using it for in terms of gaming? What resolution and what games? Links and a full component list would be awesome.

In my opinion you'd probably be better off with an AMD x6 build, especially as you're keeping it for ~2 years.
  2. sp12 said:
    What are you using it for in terms of gaming? What resolution and what games? Links and a full component list would be awesome.

In my opinion you'd probably be better off with an AMD x6 build, especially as you're keeping it for ~2 years.

Hi,

Apart from processor n Mobo:
    Hard Disk: 500Gb
    RAM: 2gb DDR 3 for now(will upgrade later)
    Graphics Card: Not at all sure which one to go for
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Processor: I5 Quad core 750
    Motherboard: GA-P55-UD3r and GA-P55-UD3p

Plus rest of the parts like kbd, mouse, moniter but main my concern is Processor, Mobo and Graphics card..

Wont be using for any games at the moment but I liked the graphics of Assasin Creed on you tube while searching for ATI Radeon HD 4350 1Gb. This guy shows the game play using the same card. I am not into too much gaming but every now and then play random games.

Though I would use it for some architectural viz in 3ds max + compositing in After Effects.

But I really liked the Gigabyte Motherboards GA-P55-UD3r and GA-P55-UD3p for all the features it has..
  3. What's your budget?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=147 1055t is theoretically ~33% faster overall in a fully-threaded environment, which rendering and compositing is.

What's your resolution? You really need 4GB of ram.
  4. if we leave apart gaming and rendering at the moment... Is Gigabyte motherboard P55-US3L any good ? as in processor & memory efficiency etc...

Budget is around $200 for Mobo & $90-100 for graphics

Thanks guys
    ak
  5. Best answer
    gigabyte is the #1 or #2 Mobo maker, generally, they don't do bad boards. The only real difference between those boards will be features: How many pci/pci-e x1/pci-e x16 slots, number of SATA controllers, micro-atx vs regular atx, etc.

at $90-100, you can afford to get the AMD 4850 or 4870 DDR5 GPUs, or AMD 5670 if you want DX11. On the NVidia sidem, a 250GTS card runs about that price as well, with DDR3, or a 240 with DDR5
  6. hey guys,

any considerations on hard drive too? the guy sold me a simple WD 7200 rpm 500gb drive.

BTW this forum is great and ...fast :)
    Thank you all,
    ak
  7. samsung f3/f4 hard drives
  8. sp12 said:
    What are you using it for in terms of gaming? What resolution and what games? Links and a full component list would be awesome.

Hi there,

Sorry got busy with a project but I am back now and will be going in tomorrow to get rest of the parts.

I am assuming you suggested AMD 1055t x6 processor over Intel Quad core I5 750/760... Is there any particular reason why you suggest AMD x6 build over intel i-5 ?

I have eventually finalized Gigabyte P55-USB3 motherboard over P55-US3L as USB3 bears 2 USB3 ports.. though GA-P55A-UD3R also have 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors with USB3.

I guess I will also need a different SATA 6Gb/s compatible HDD.. Am I correct (sales guy sold me WD 7200 rpm 500Gb)?

I chose Radeon HD 5450 as I wont be using this computer for gaming and will mostly be for movies, so this card looks good as it is sound less, low power consumption card & inexpensive.

Please suggest the minimum Power Supply I should go for.

Thanks a lot,
    ak
  9. Best answer selected by amitkhanna.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Desktops Systems