Sign in with
Your question

SSD And HDD Problems

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 7:29:37 AM

HI.

I've got a bit of a problem with my SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD, and SeaGate Barracuda 1TB SATA Drive (ST31000524AS) Basically, both drives are 100% healthy and fully functional. So, no problems there. Right, this is where it gets a little strange. For some unknown reason, when i have both drives connected to the motherboard, my Asus SaberTooth 990FX Bios won't list both, and i have to disconnect one or the other? When that happens, it's fine, but i want both these drives connected simultaneously, and that's just not happening at the moment? I've tried looking at the Bios settings, but it's not giving me any options, and it still won't list both drives at once, no matter what i do?

When i first set-up this computer, i installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my ST31000524AS, because i needed to update my SSD's firmware to R211. Well, i have now installed my OS on the SSD. So. the Seagate may be a problem - if connected, because windows will try to boot from there (it still has Windows on it)

Oh, i almost forgot. AHCI mode has always been set right from the get go.

Please Help.

More about : ssd hdd problems

a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 7:36:28 AM

Connect only the SSD. Format and install windows. Once it's running, connect your HDD.
December 17, 2012 7:39:25 AM

abbadon_34 said:
Connect only the SSD. Format and install windows. Once it's running, connect your HDD.

I have tried that, but Windows boots from the HDD?
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 7:47:50 AM

Don't connect the HDD until windows is installed. Once windows is up, connect the harddrive, and check the bios boot setting. Or manually tell it to boot to the SSD (F11 or such). Then use windows disk management to check/change your HDD, i.e. format, partitions, etc.
December 17, 2012 7:59:45 AM

Windows was installed on the SSD early this morning. As i said, Windows is still on the HDD, has it was the first drive installed on my computer. Bios won't let me connect both, and tries to boot into windows when the HDD is connected, despite me telling Bios not to do this, it's completely disregarding any changes i make within Bios.
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 8:03:19 AM

Then there is a problem with your Win install on the SSD and it is automatically looking for a valid install on other devices. Start from scatch. Double check all your bios settings and do a CLEAN install.
December 17, 2012 8:07:35 AM

go into bios and change the first boot drive for the ssd
December 17, 2012 8:13:21 AM

abbadon_34 said:
Then there is a problem with your Win install on the SSD and it is automatically looking for a valid install on other devices. Start from scatch. Double check all your bios settings and do a CLEAN install.

But this also happens when i connect my HDD? I run windows, shutdown the OS, and then connect my SSD when the power is off - Bios tries to boot from the SSD and won't list the HDD in Bios. It's like the Bios dislikes 2 Drives connected at once?
December 17, 2012 8:14:16 AM

jcurry23 said:
go into bios and change the first boot drive for the ssd

I've tried this, it doesn't work.
!