Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build FINALLY done - I think - Plz review - best computer $1k

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 7, 2010 11:12:50 PM

So I've been doing copious amounts of research, reaching out on this site, etc. And I think I've finally come up with my final solution for a $1000 gaming build.

Please review, input is appreciated.

Intel Core i5-760
+
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

this pairing should provide good value, mobo w/ good features and SLI option

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
+
XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Good funtional case and highly rated power supply (9.6 on jonnyguru)

MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1 GB + just cause 2 included
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

put a lot of time into choosing the card - cant beat the bang for buck... good performance, easily OC'able, and kicks @$$ in SLI (which i'll do later)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

should suffice, can add more later.

ASUS dvd burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Spinpoint F3 HD - this is actually sold out on newegg so I had to go to amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-Cache-Desktop-H...

All in all this comes out right at $1000, and that's before like $60 in mail in rebates.

How's it look????????????????????
September 7, 2010 11:39:28 PM

^ also avoids HSF compatibilit issues since the eco kits don't have those useless heat spreaders. Not an issue with the Hyper 212 plus, but if you ever change HSF, may be.

I also wouldn't go with a MSI card. Their cards are fine, but if you even have an issue with them or get a DOA one, you have a better chance of newegg accidentally shipping you a free new card, than ever getting a replacement from MSI.
Related resources
September 7, 2010 11:42:32 PM

sp12 said:
Because it breaks no combo deals, and is .3 voltage lower, this ram for 1$ more will pay for itself and give you better CPU overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Noted, thanks sp12.

Happy to absorb more knowledge from anyone else about the above components!
September 8, 2010 12:00:23 AM

banthracis said:

I also wouldn't go with a MSI card. Their cards are fine, but if you even have an issue with them or get a DOA one, you have a better chance of newegg accidentally shipping you a free new card, than ever getting a replacement from MSI.


With such a bad opinion of them? That card has nothing but solid user reviews and a 3 year warranty
September 8, 2010 1:28:04 AM

The EVGA GTX 460 SC EE is the best GTX 460... IMO. EVGA offers the best support and warranty for Nvidia cards.

As for a RMA to MSI, I have no issues and the process was relatively quick (two weeks from shipment to return roughly) when they replaced a defect MOBO after it died.
September 8, 2010 1:38:41 AM

Cool. I think I like the cyclone. Is this the best build or what? For my budget that is.
September 8, 2010 1:42:41 AM

Very solid build...
September 8, 2010 3:37:07 AM

Nice build but I'd keep the Ripjaws and not the ECO for RAM.
September 8, 2010 3:45:26 AM

saint19 said:
Nice build and but I'd keep the Ripjaws and not the ECO for RAM.


Ok... Interesting... Would you explain your recommendation a bit please? I'm trying to understand the options.
September 8, 2010 4:26:19 AM

1- The Ripjaws has better reviews and rating.
2- Some ECO has compatibility problems with Intel and AMD.
3- The Ripjaws can run at 1.5V without problems
September 8, 2010 12:09:01 PM

The power supply seems sufficient for build - even with SLI?
September 8, 2010 1:56:13 PM

^A single GTX460 needs a 450W (that says nVidia site) plus 150W or 200W max to the other GTX460 gives u 650W exaggerating so the 750W that u select is more that enough even a 650W can handle that SLI.
September 8, 2010 2:38:20 PM

what about something a little more demanding... thinking to the future.
September 8, 2010 3:33:12 PM

Something more demanding are 3-way SLI with GTX470 or GTX480 since the GTX460 only suppor 2-Way SLI. In that 3-Way SLI with a 1200W like the Corsair AX1200 is enough.
September 8, 2010 3:43:49 PM

Sooo could I assume that any dual-card SLI (or crossfire, my mobo supports both) would be feasible with this power supply? Again that's the XFX 750W black edition. packaged with sweet case.
September 8, 2010 3:53:13 PM

saint19 said:
1- The Ripjaws has better reviews and rating.
2- Some ECO has compatibility problems with Intel and AMD.
3- The Ripjaws can run at 1.5V without problems


Also, I'm considering spending a bit more on RAM, if it's worth it. Not sure if I'd notice any significant performance increases with like 6 GB instead of 4, for gaming, web browsing, itunes, stuff like that.

Can you put like whatever size sticks in each slot? I know 6 GB would be 2-2-2 of my 4 slots. So later could I add a larger single stick or would it have to be another 2?
September 8, 2010 3:56:48 PM

Yeah, except a Crossfire with two 5970 that Crossfire needs a 850W PSU
September 8, 2010 4:21:15 PM

... and what of the noob RAM tutorial?
September 8, 2010 4:58:12 PM

muckle said:
Also, I'm considering spending a bit more on RAM, if it's worth it. Not sure if I'd notice any significant performance increases with like 6 GB instead of 4, for gaming, web browsing, itunes, stuff like that.

Can you put like whatever size sticks in each slot? I know 6 GB would be 2-2-2 of my 4 slots. So later could I add a larger single stick or would it have to be another 2?


4GB is enough for gaming and the other things that u want do. Now if u want 6GB and u want install it in that way (2-2-2=6) u will lose performance since the i5 don't support tri channel and in that configuration the 6GB only can run in single channel.
September 8, 2010 5:30:21 PM

saint19 said:
4GB is enough for gaming and the other things that u want do. Now if u want 6GB and u want install it in that way (2-2-2=6) u will lose performance since the i5 don't support tri channel and in that configuration the 6GB only can run in single channel.


I see. Ok let me know if I understand this correctly. I have a dual channel mobo and proc... 4 slots. 2x2.

So i have 2 sticks of 2gb each now. If I want to add more I'd need a PAIR of 2gb,4gb, or whatever size sticks to go in the remaining 2 slots.
September 8, 2010 6:58:05 PM

You're right the mobo and CPU only support dual channel and ur mobo has 4 RAM slots. Those 2x2GB that u currently have are running in dual channel and I want add more RAM u need install 2x1GB, 2x2GB or 2x4GB for keep the dual channel configuration.
September 8, 2010 7:50:34 PM

with that budget its much better to get a amd cheaper cpu and a better gpu (for gaming),
u could get amd phenom ii 955 + ati 5850... that is a much better pc...
also that HSF is not for ur build.. u should get hyper 212 plus (is a very good HSF and its cheap)
and for the case i prefer a lancool... i dont like the finish on antec..
check this combo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
September 8, 2010 8:02:59 PM

saint19 said:
1- The Ripjaws has better reviews and rating.
2- Some ECO has compatibility problems with Intel and AMD.
3- The Ripjaws can run at 1.5V without problems


The ripjaws have just sold more, I don't place stock in Newegg reviews.
That's a mobo issue you have to set in bios.
That's not an advantage. 1.35 kit can run 1.5 volts too. The 1.5 volt kit will probably not run with 1.35 volts.

In my opinion the 5850 is bad buy at this point. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/180?vs=164 The 460 tosses it from a price/performance standpoint.
September 8, 2010 8:04:47 PM

Juanchioo said:
with that budget its much better to get a amd cheaper cpu and a better gpu (for gaming),
u could get amd phenom ii 955 + ati 5850... that is a much better pc...
also that HSF is not for ur build.. u should get hyper 212 plus (is a very good HSF and its cheap)
and for the case i prefer a lancool... i dont like the finish on antec..
check this combo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


What are u saying? a Phenom II X4 955 plus a 5850 is much better that a i5-760 plus 2xGTX460 on SLI. With all respect but u are very funny with that affirmation :lol: 
September 8, 2010 8:17:35 PM

not in sli...
September 8, 2010 8:45:52 PM

Juanchioo said:
not in sli...


Like I said above, I do plan on doing SLI. and with overclocking a GTX 460 is like right about even with the 5850. And it's SLI kicks 5850's crossfirin @$$. Add that with the fact that they are cheaper than 5850's and it's a no brainer to me, now.

I was considering AMD before - but after a lot of reading up on the issue I think the i5 will be better overall... it's not that expensive either esp. with my proc-mobo combo
September 8, 2010 8:47:51 PM

^Please read again, the user want a Crossfire 5770 or SLI GTX460 the 5770 in Crossfire performs better that a single 5850 and a single GTX460 768MB performs much better that a single 5770. What is better at this point price/performance? 2xGTX460 as the OP want.
September 8, 2010 8:59:34 PM

saint19 said:
^Please read again, the user want a Crossfire 5770 or SLI GTX460 the 5770 in Crossfire performs better that a single 5850 and a single GTX460 768MB performs much better that a single 5770. What is better at this point price/performance? 2xGTX460 as the OP want.


what user 'want a crossfire 5770'? dont know what you're talking about....

I do agree however that 2xGTX460 rules as I plan on getting it (as outlined in my OP)
September 8, 2010 9:04:51 PM

If plan go with Intel get the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro for mobo, is very solid and works very well.

@muckle: The 5770 Crossfire is a good option too but just was for reference.
!