VERY slow USB transfer speed!!

Kirstin P

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop (no modifications) and a 1TB Verbatim USB 3.0 hard drive. I use Windows 7.

When trandferring data between the 2, on a good day I will get 60 MB/sec but usually <1MB/sec (really!!!) - right now I am copying at 280 kB/sec!!!

I have reformatted the drive (its in FAT32 as I use it mostly in my TV), checked the disk, defragmented and optimised for performance - nothing has helped. File sizes vary between 300MB and 1 GB.

What can I do to sort this out?

Thanks

Are you connecting the drive via a USB 3.0 port? If yes, the problem could be the hard drive inside the USB 3.0 enclosure. The drive itself is not a USB 3.0 drive, the enclosure uses a USB 3.0 interface. Drive performance will vary due to a number of factors including, but not limited to, the speed at which the drive spins (7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm), the platters and heads on the hard drive, etc. Just out of curiosity how old is the dv7 laptop? I only ask because I have an older model dv7.

paul1911

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Yes the interface which is converting drive to usb is manufactured to use 3.0. Drives which connects at sata 3.0 usually have a average data transfer rate of 125 MB/s, depending on its specification in rpm and buffer size.
Try HDTune to benchmark your laptop Hard Drive if it is writing in its own specification.
Try updating usb driver, and different usb port. or usb 2.0 (a loose usb connector can have this problem).
see if u can try different usb cable or different pc.
If still doesn't help, then your external hard drive usb adapter may have gone bad.

Kirstin P

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

My dv7 was bought this year!