Sign in with
Your question

Homebuild won't boot at all

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2010 12:06:30 AM

My new homebuild hasn't booted at all. It has never worked.

This is not the first PC I've built, just the first un-successful try I suppose although it is only my second. The computer simply won't power on. The PSU light displays standby and the power button on the motherboard lights up as well but nothing happens when you press said button or the power button on the case.

i7 950
Asus P6T Se
Corsair 6gb triple channel
Stock cooling
Evga Geforce 460gtx
Thermaltake toughpower xt 775w PSU
Seagate 1tb
Win7 (haven't actually installed it yet since it won't power on.
Thermaltake Armor A90

So far i've checked the cpu power and mobo power.
I've tried one stick of ram on both sides of the motherboard.
I've taken off the brass grounding because I'm not sure where to put it in the first place. The case has 6 bumps where you can fit the screws and i've tried putting brass grounding on those as well as without.
I've taken everything apart and put it back together twice with the same result except for the CPU since the i7 stock fan is tough to remove imo.
I don't have a tangible manual for the motherboard however, I did consult the one on the CD that came with the Motherboard.

I basically need to know what I should do next. I'm really at a loss. I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks

More about : homebuild boot

a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2010 12:34:13 AM

Be sure to reset the cmos and try to boot again. Also you may try starting it with no ram and no video just to see if the motherboard will even squak at you or throw errors. If it does not, you could have a bad board.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2010 1:07:15 AM

tecmo34 said:
Read through and complete the items listed in this thread... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

You need to make sure the standoff's are properly installed or it won't boot, as it isn't grounded.

I did see that guide but as I said, I have no idea where the standoffs are supposed to go. I tried both with and without the Standoff's in a couple positions with the same result.

Thanks for the quick reply's.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 234 V Motherboard
September 8, 2010 1:15:16 AM

Your motherboard has holes that line up to holes in the case. This is where the standoff's are to go. Typically, you will have 6 or 9 to install.

Also, if you tried booting in the case without standoff's, you could've damaged your motherboard by shorting it out (could've doesn't mean did :)  )
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2010 1:53:18 AM

Again thanks for the all the tips.

So far i've tried resetting the CMOS on this board which, (again without an owners manual) meant i took out the battery and moved ( what i hope was) the cmos over a couple pins since it wasn't really labeled. Turned it on then put the cmos pins back the way they were.

I'm now going to put on the brass grounding screws to match up with the holes in th MOBO although I don't have enough screws and there is a screw hole in the mobo that the case doesn't have. After this I think I quit. :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2010 1:47:49 PM

Everything does not have to be perfect there dude, as long as the board is not touching the metal mounting plate. Also, thought you said you could get to the manual on cd? Either way, you ALWAYS use standoffs.
!