Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ati 5870 tri crossfire artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2010 3:09:55 AM

ok ive looked this up everywhere and cant find an answer to this

so 3 months ago i bought 2 ATI 5870 cards and ive had then set in crossfire/liquid cooled and no problems with artifacts or anything all up to date as of today

last week i bought another 5870 currently with a fan put it in the middle of my 2 liquid cooled ones boot up my pc and updated it.

I turn on left 4 dead 2 and noticed tiny white blocks (artifacts) in the openning also sometimes i would get a green line flashing accross the screen throughout the game it just glitches

i try other games like Bad company 2 and just cause 2 same thing

its worst 4 BBC2 the game crashes and i get a BSOD saying if this is your first BSOD blah blah blah... (thats what its said if this is your first BSOD... there wasnt anthing like memory management or something like that.)

after a day of trying to figure this out i realized my new card had 2 be bad.

but before i gave up i took my 2 liquid cooled cards out and put the new one on top so i only have the new one running as i type... well no problems whats so ever BBC2 runs perfect full settings no artifacts and so do the other 2 games perfect full settings

my internet doesnt glitch when i scroll the bar up and down

so what gives is there an 3 way crossfire issue that wasnt addressed at a meeting

i wasnt overclocking everything was set to normal

tryed it with over clocking too same problem

i7 960 (3.2) was overclocked at 4.0GHz
motherboard MSI X58 PRO-E
3 ATI 5870 in crossfire 2 liquid cooled
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
12GB DDR3 1600
1.5TB SATAII
24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Sound card - Integrated
Realtek chipset, Gigabit LAN
1200watts ULTRA X4 PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima XT Liquid Cooling Kit
Liquid Cooling

a c 169 U Graphics card
August 2, 2010 7:10:16 AM

I think its a driver issue,so do a clean install of the latest driver (Catalyst 10.7 or an older one if you ran into problems),here is how
1_Download driversweeper(from guru3d.com)
2_Go to control panel and uninstall the driver from there
3_Reboot and go to safemode and open driver sweeper and click on ATI and click clean
3_Boot normally and Install the new driver
m
l

Best solution

a c 228 U Graphics card
August 2, 2010 3:53:34 PM

In addition to Maziar's good recommendation, I would like to ask how old the PSU is? 2 cards work fine, but adding the third one generates the problem as I understand it. If that is accurate, I would be concerned with cooling/airflow and the PSU itself.

I know you state it is a 1200w PSU, but not all PSUs are created equally and they do fail. Yours may just not be up to the task of powering the third GPU.

Also, since you are using water cooling for 2 GPUs and air for the third (I assume), check your temps. If components are running hotter than expected, you may need to increase your airflow.

That third GPU is adding a bit of heat to your system and you may have simply exceeded an acceptable level by adding the 3rd GPU. Yank the side cover and run the system open to see if it helps. If so, you may need to clean up or add to your system airflow to be more efficient.

Good luck!
Related resources
August 2, 2010 4:01:14 PM

will give it a shot ive RMA'ed the card with Amoazon there sending a new one tomarrow will do a clean install

I'll post with the resaults

thanks
m
l
August 2, 2010 4:29:50 PM

COLGeek said:
In addition to Maziar's good recommendation, I would like to ask how old the PSU is? 2 cards work fine, but adding the third one generates the problem as I understand it. If that is accurate, I would be concerned with cooling/airflow and the PSU itself.

I know you state it is a 1200w PSU, but not all PSUs are created equally and they do fail. Yours may just not be up to the task of powering the third GPU.

Also, since you are using water cooling for 2 GPUs and air for the third (I assume), check your temps. If components are running hotter than expected, you may need to increase your airflow.

That third GPU is adding a bit of heat to your system and you may have simply exceeded an acceptable level by adding the 3rd GPU. Yank the side cover and run the system open to see if it helps. If so, you may need to clean up or add to your system airflow to be more efficient.

Good luck!

it might be the temps its sitting in the middle everything in my pc is brand new 2 months old my psu is 1 week old no problems with it

highest temps for the fanned GPU was 48C or higher in BBC2 i do have a huge side fan for the gpu's

im getting a water block for the 3rd gpu this friday so the temp problem will go away
m
l
a c 228 U Graphics card
August 2, 2010 9:20:46 PM

Sounds like you have a plan. If, after you get the new card and waterblock installed, you have the same problem, I would look very closely at the PSU. Its rating and reality may not coincide. Good luck!!!
m
l
August 6, 2010 5:32:11 AM

ok so my replaced 5870 card came in along with my new water block

with all 3 cards in crossfire im haveing no problem whats so ever i guess it was due to the over heating that i was getting artifacts in my games and NO BSOD :) 

i did knotice with the RMA'ed 5870 card in with a fan in it the temp rose to 70C but no artifacts apeared so its still a confused on what was going on

anyways problem solved

would post a pic of my pc but i never delt with forums and dont know how

thanks 4 the help everyone!!!

m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 9:45:40 AM

Glad to hear its working fine.
And don't worry about the temps,70c is normal under load
m
l
August 6, 2010 3:44:05 PM