Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Compaq V5000 hangs after BIOS. Curser top left blinking

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2010 2:33:47 PM

Hello,

I have a Compaq V5000 Laptop that has Windows XP. After the BIOS, the computer goes to a blank screen and all I see is a blinking cursor on the top left of the screen. BIOS confirmed that all of the hardware are working. I popped in my Windows XP CD ran a chkdsk /r. It fixed errors on my drive but it didn't solve the initial problem. I'm pretty much stumped.

Thanks in advance.

November 30, 2010 6:07:54 PM

I would try pressing F8 (just keep mashing it) during startup to try and boot into safe mode and start your trouble shooting there.
m
l

Best solution

November 30, 2010 8:43:34 PM

Sounds like it may have lost the boot sector

1. Restart your computer with the Windows XP Setup disk in the CDROM drive.
2. If you are prompted to press a key to start the computer from CDROM, do so quickly. Otherwise it may try to boot from the hard drive.
3. After a few minutes, you'll see a prompt to press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
4. When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
5. Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue.
6. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type fixmbr and then verify that you want to proceed.
7. Exit and reboot.

If that fails, redo steps but issue the command fixboot instead of fixmbr.
Related resources
December 1, 2010 2:16:13 AM

das_stig said:
Sounds like it may have lost the boot sector

2. If you are prompted to press a key to start the computer from CDROM, do so quickly. Otherwise it may try to boot from the hard drive.
3. After a few minutes, you'll see a prompt to press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
4. When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
5. Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue.
6. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type fixmbr and then verify that you want to proceed.
7. Exit and reboot.

If that fails, redo steps but issue the command fixboot instead of fixmbr.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 10 page essay that is due tomorrow. Computer is working now!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
December 1, 2010 2:16:28 AM

Best answer selected by oldamd.
m
l
June 16, 2013 3:33:08 PM

Thank you so much for this solution. I was trying to get data off the old Compaq and ended up with this same problem. Thank you again.

quotemsg=2813895,0,268616]Sounds like it may have lost the boot sector

7. Exit and reboot.

If that fails, redo steps but issue the command fixboot instead of fixmbr.[/quotemsg]

m
l
!