P8Z68-V-PRO question

mishu1985

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hi,
I recently bought a P8Z68-V-PRO and i noticed the chipset heatsink is very hot, so hot i cannot touch it unless i want to get burned.
I have a i3 2105 cpu on it, no video card (maybe in the near future :) ) and i tried at first the AI Suite Auto Tuning feature but when i noticed the issue i reset it to the default settings but this didn't change anything, the chipset heatsink is still very hot.
I have two 120 fans (intake, outtake) in my case so there is enough airflow, i guess.
Is this normal behavior or do i need to send it for repair?
Thank you very much!

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

First IMO don't use any BIOS invasive Apps including the ASUS AI Suite. Your i3-2105 cannot OC and too often the Manual BIOS settings and those of the Apps conflict with one another.

That said, the Chipset runs very hot, but it 'burning' you it shouldn't. The Tjmax is 108C {226F} but normal operation is 55~65C {150F} and higher under load.

mishu1985

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Thank you very much for your answer.
I'll uninstall the AI suite and check if it makes any difference.
It's much hotter that 65 C, as far as my finger tells me, I'll check with a thermometer as soon as i get my hands on one just to have some clear figures.
The mother board temperature sensor doesn't go above 40C but i don't think it has anything to do with the chipset.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I had the same problem on RE3. Temps were getting so high the machine would shut down.

Found out the TIM wasn't making contact and it was dried out. RMAd (twice) for a new one.

Extra cooling fans can help.

As for AI Suite, I haven't had any problems using this utility. The auto tune feature worked every time without compromising temps.