Sign in with
Your question

P8Z68-V-PRO question

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2011 11:36:34 AM

Hi,
I recently bought a P8Z68-V-PRO and i noticed the chipset heatsink is very hot, so hot i cannot touch it unless i want to get burned.
I have a i3 2105 cpu on it, no video card (maybe in the near future :)  ) and i tried at first the AI Suite Auto Tuning feature but when i noticed the issue i reset it to the default settings but this didn't change anything, the chipset heatsink is still very hot.
I have two 120 fans (intake, outtake) in my case so there is enough airflow, i guess.
Is this normal behavior or do i need to send it for repair?
Thank you very much!

More about : p8z68 pro question

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 27, 2011 1:45:59 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

First IMO don't use any BIOS invasive Apps including the ASUS AI Suite. Your i3-2105 cannot OC and too often the Manual BIOS settings and those of the Apps conflict with one another.

That said, the Chipset runs very hot, but it 'burning' you it shouldn't. The Tjmax is 108C {226F} but normal operation is 55~65C {150F} and higher under load.
July 27, 2011 2:39:37 PM

Thank you very much for your answer.
I'll uninstall the AI suite and check if it makes any difference.
It's much hotter that 65 C, as far as my finger tells me, I'll check with a thermometer as soon as i get my hands on one just to have some clear figures.
The mother board temperature sensor doesn't go above 40C but i don't think it has anything to do with the chipset.
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 27, 2011 3:28:48 PM

Try HWMonitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html otherwise use your ASUS Probe II for temperature readings. Both Apps are BIOS 'read' Apps; reading is fine 'writing' BIOS values is another thing all together.
July 27, 2011 5:34:56 PM

I had the same problem on RE3. Temps were getting so high the machine would shut down.

Found out the TIM wasn't making contact and it was dried out. RMAd (twice) for a new one.

Extra cooling fans can help.

As for AI Suite, I haven't had any problems using this utility. The auto tune feature worked every time without compromising temps.
!