This device cannot start. (Code 10) with Graphics Card

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2005 11:09:02 PM

Every so often, when I start my computer, the graphics controller does not
register correctly and my computer loads some default monitor controller and
gives this error that's in the Subject heading. The font turns huge and
annoying. I've reloaded, updated, deleted, changed, etc. to the graphics
controller. Nothing cures it, except, I was able to do a restore and get it
to load correctly. Sometimes it would take a couple of times to do this.
Right now, it's on it's 5th time and I'm getting annoyed. It's not working.
Help!! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And how to fix it?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2005 3:31:02 AM

If you run a intel based board,download and install the chipset installation
utility,if you run thier graphic controller,download and install after.If
you run
a diffrent controller than intel,go to the mfg web site for updates.

"Dale" wrote:

> Every so often, when I start my computer, the graphics controller does not
> register correctly and my computer loads some default monitor controller and
> gives this error that's in the Subject heading. The font turns huge and
> annoying. I've reloaded, updated, deleted, changed, etc. to the graphics
> controller. Nothing cures it, except, I was able to do a restore and get it
> to load correctly. Sometimes it would take a couple of times to do this.
> Right now, it's on it's 5th time and I'm getting annoyed. It's not working.
> Help!! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And how to fix it?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2005 6:24:21 PM

I guess you can try to pull out your display adapter and then insert it back
tightly. I am not sure whether it works or not, well, I think you'd better
have a try.
"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:D EA20534-FA7D-42A6-87E8-5404A5ED1FE6@microsoft.com...
> Every so often, when I start my computer, the graphics controller does not
> register correctly and my computer loads some default monitor controller
> and
> gives this error that's in the Subject heading. The font turns huge and
> annoying. I've reloaded, updated, deleted, changed, etc. to the graphics
> controller. Nothing cures it, except, I was able to do a restore and get
> it
> to load correctly. Sometimes it would take a couple of times to do this.
> Right now, it's on it's 5th time and I'm getting annoyed. It's not
> working.
> Help!! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And how to fix it?
September 6, 2009 5:26:57 PM

I had the same problem so I did an internet search for "code 10 for displays" but nobody was posting (THE FIX). This thread is the first thing that pops up on the "code 10 for displays" search so I wanted to post the fix that worked for me. Here's my set up. Motherboard: Asus M2NE-SLI, AMD Dual Core 2.51 ghz, 4 GB RAM, Video card: XFX Geforce 8800 GTS.

Okay, here's what I did to fix this code 10 for displays.

First off, I moved the video card to my 2nd pci slot. NO DICE. I still had the code 10.

Second, I bought another 8800 GTS video card on ebay for $40.00. THAT FIXED IT!

My third step was to replace the mother board. I'm glad I didn't have to because even though this mb is less than 3 years old, its hard to find another with the same specs. Every thing out now as of Sep 09 is way better. I wasn't sure if I could use my CPU on a newer mb. I'm not that computer smart when it comes to building them. My buddy built this computer for me.

So I guess, my video card was bad. Sux too cause I bought my 8800 GTS when it first came out at $160.00 I think, maybe even more. I'm glad I could find the same one for under $50.0 on ebay. So far for the last 2 weeks my computer has been running like a champ with no issues.

Well my fellow Brothers and Sisters with a code 10 for displays. I hope I helped you. I think I'm the only person in the world who has posted a fix for this problem. This may or may not fix your problem, but it fixed mine. My theory is, if I can fix this, anyone can.

Thanks for viewing.

Troy from Utah
The original T-roy :hello:
!