Motherboard problems :(

quadroguitarist

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hey guys, my computer is slightly screwed. It keeps crashing after about 10 - 20 seconds of booting, and when i try to reboot it, it gives me an error in BIOS beeps. It's 4 beeps - I've looked it up and this is what it says about 4 beeps...

"You are getting 4 beeps indicating a timer not operational:

* Check for foreign objects such as screws that may ground the motherboard and make sure that screws that hold the motherboard are not too tight.
* Swap the motherboard.
"

I've taken apart my computer so there is no problem with loose screws, or screws that are too tight...

Also, now i get an error saying the cmos battery is low... Do you think the 2 are related?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance everyone :D

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
have you tried changing the BIOS battery? That would be the cheapest thing to test. I assume you have removed the motherboard from the case laid it on a table and powered it up with minimum components. I also assume you are not overclocking and that the CPU is not overheating.

You can try replacing the CMOS battery, but most boards will boot without a CMOS battery, It just won't remember any changes you have made in the BIOS(like date, time, etc). I'm thinking you have a bad motherboard, if a timer is not operational.