Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 BootMgr missing (Installation)

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 1:44:10 PM

In short(long), I have just just upgraded the computer with more RAM (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 16GB KIT CL9), an SSD (Kingston SSD Now 200 V + 120 GB) and a standard SATA disk of 1.5 TB. The idea is of course to install Windows 7 on the SSD, and games and such on the larger disk. The problem is that something causes trouble with the installation of windows 7 (pro).

What I have tried (and what has gone wrong) are as follows:

Booting from the windows disk and installed SSD. Only SSD and DVD plugged in. The installation crashes in an early stage (before the first normal reboot) with the result that the screen goes blank (as if it does not receive the signal, statusLED turns orange, normally green) and nothing happens.

Booting from the windows disk and tried to install Windows on my 1.5 TB drive, it being the only disk connected. The installation crashes in exactly the same way as the previous one.

I started windows installation from my previous (working) Windows installation and installed onto the SSD. The SSD, DVD and SATA disk with the previous installation were connected. The installation proceeds with the restart, then the error message that the boot manager is missing comes up. The BIOS boot-order is DVD, SSD, SATA (win).

In the first two cases, it does not matter if it's an SSD or an old-fashioned HDD, suggesting that there is something wrong with the installation disc, maybe. But in the last case, it seems that the installation is going fine, until it complains about the lack of boot manager. If I manually boot from the installation disc the installation restarts (and crashes just as before a little bit in with the screen turned off, I have tested).

I have also tried to change the RAID mode in BIOS from IDE to AHCI ending up with the same result.

The motherboard is a MSI 770-C45. BIOS is updated to the latest version.

Anyone have any tips on how I should behave in order to successfully install Windows 7 Pro on my SSD?
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 1:52:24 PM

First thing, I would d/l another iso of Windows and install from that.
December 17, 2012 2:02:23 PM

I will try that.

Oh and by the way, i forgot to mention the rest of the computer and here it is:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 2,8GHz Socket AM3 Box
Corsair VX450 450W Power Supply
MSI 770-C45 Motherboard
OCZ Platinum XTC LV DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL7 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB Graphic card (PCI Express)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 16MB 500GB 3,5" SATA-HDD
Related resources
December 17, 2012 9:05:47 PM

I have now tried installing from a flash drive and now the screen goes black when i get to the language selection screen.
I read some stupid advice about having two screens hooked up during install, and tried that (hey, I'm desperate) ;(
a b $ Windows 7
a c 122 G Storage
December 18, 2012 3:24:06 AM

Have you tried changing the boot order so that the disk you want to install Windows on is first in the list? When you are ready to install Windows you can press F11 to temporarily change the boot order so that the DVD drive is first. Using F11 will not make changes to the BIOS boot order, it just temporarily changes the boot order so you can install Windows from the DVD drive.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
December 18, 2012 3:47:22 AM

Reason for screen goes black is to protect hardware from damage and overheating. so check all fans are working correctly and no damage in it.if any ram is complind the system give bluescreen error.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
December 18, 2012 3:50:09 AM

Load default settings in bios.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 126 G Storage
December 18, 2012 4:13:47 AM

you made th number one error on upgrade..have two types of dimms that are running at different speeds and difant timings and voltages. pull out the old ram and just leave the new ram in. you may have to do an fdisk mbr or a secure erase on the ssd to clear out the damaged files. want more ram make sure all the dimms are the same.
!