Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to get a Sound card?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2011 8:50:45 PM

Hi all, I am just getting ready to put a Computer Parts list together for a new build,

I hope to build in the next month or so. I am currently using a HT Omega sound card on a Intel Pen 4, Abit MB and XP OS and 5.1 speaker layout (nothing special)

I am looking at this MB or one one the same level using windows 7

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do mostly gaming and always use mic. I also use headphones alot. Sound is important to me at least for the gaming part. I have a Home System for music. However, I do want the sound in my games to sound good

I will be building a desent system, about $1,400 - $1,600 (in SLI). should I get a Sound Card and if so, what one

thanks all in advance

More about : sound card

July 27, 2011 9:37:35 PM

bananajuice said:
Hi all, I am just getting ready to put a Computer Parts list together for a new build,

I hope to build in the next month or so. I am currently using a HT Omega sound card on a Intel Pen 4, Abit MB and XP OS and 5.1 speaker layout (nothing special)

I am looking at this MB or one one the same level using windows 7

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

I do mostly gaming and always use mic. I also use headphones alot. Sound is important to me at least for the gaming part. I have a Home System for music. However, I do want the sound in my games to sound good

I will be building a desent system, about $1,400 - $1,600 (in SLI). should I get a Sound Card and if so, what one

thanks all in advance

No, you won't need a sound card with this motherboard. This board includes two types of sound output as shown in my screen shot below:

You can hook the S/PDIF to your home stereo (if you have optical connector on your Receiver) or connect your headphone to the green input (the analog ports).
m
l
a c 252 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 27, 2011 9:45:25 PM

All current motherboards will include good HD sound.
I suggest you try it first and see how you like it.
You can always add a sound card later.
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2011 1:46:06 AM

Thanks guys, I will try out the onboard sound first. i was alittle concerned that it will not be enough. I never used any onboard hardware.

I have a second question, If i use the OnBoard Sound, how can i use this case's front ports or any case with front audio ports

this is the case i am looking at, I am also looking into a cooler master HAF

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Front Ports 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, HD Audio In and Out

I am kind of new to building, this build will be the first time doing this alone (my buddy who built my last 2 moved)

thanks for all the advice

I started reviewing the manuals for the MB, PwS, and Video cards, once I have my list complete i will post in the "new build"
m
l
a c 252 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 28, 2011 2:18:03 AM

Download and read the case manual also.

The case will have labelled front panel leads to plug into the appropriate places on the motherboard for sound, mike, usb, power on, reset etc.
They mostly fit only one way. Polarity of switches is irrelevant, but the + and - on led's do not adhere to standards. No matter, if the led(like power or hdd activity) do not light up, just reverse them. No harm done.
m
l
July 28, 2011 2:59:19 AM

bananajuice said:
Thanks guys, I will try out the onboard sound first. i was alittle concerned that it will not be enough. I never used any onboard hardware.

I have a second question, If i use the OnBoard Sound, how can i use this case's front ports or any case with front audio ports

this is the case i am looking at, I am also looking into a cooler master HAF

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Front Ports 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, HD Audio In and Out

I am kind of new to building, this build will be the first time doing this alone (my buddy who built my last 2 moved)

thanks for all the advice

I started reviewing the manuals for the MB, PwS, and Video cards, once I have my list complete i will post in the "new build"

Just connect the front port (USB's) and HD Audio connector to the motherboard. The connectors are labelled and will match with the connectors on the motherboard.

HOwever, in order to get the sound to work on the motherboard, you'll need to install the audio drivers for the motherboard (most likely Realtek). These are included on the motherboard install disc, or you can visit the motherboard website and download the latest drivers from there (the more advisable route since drivers on the disk are always out of date). Good luck.
m
l
!