Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sound card pcie x4 windows server 2008 64bit

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2010 7:37:09 PM

Hello,
Win Server 2008 64bit. I have 2 X8 slots and an X4 slot.
What soundcard would you recommend. I just need basic sound.
December 3, 2010 11:20:36 AM

Welcome, newcomer!

Then doesn't your mobo have an onbaord sound solution?

a few more questions,
where do you live?
want it purchased online?
what is your budget?

can we have more specs in your machine?
December 13, 2010 2:03:24 AM

Thank you. I don't think the mobo does have an onboard. It is Dell PowerEdge 2950. I didn't see any drivers or sound output for it. I did buy an X1 card that was said to work in the X4 or X8 slots. The problem is that it has Win 2008 server 64bit, and that has stopped working in terms of Windows Updates so I have to solve that before I can worry about the card.
I will try to report if that card I bought works or not. I live in the USA. So far the card I bought does seem to work, but it may be due to the updates issues. If you have one you know works, by all means let me know.

Remember I have X4 and X8 pcie slots only.

Thanks
Related resources
December 13, 2010 4:13:00 AM

I'm going through your documentation now

EDIT -
So lemme repeat this, you already had a soundcard but aren't getting any audio output...and you think your thinking , you should buy a soundcard that is actually support with the x4/x8 slots...right?

Your slots available are x4 and x8's. All soundcards (that are x1) can run off an x4 or an x8 slot. The only catch here is that the x1 card will only need 1 (electrical) lane to run. So that eliminates any doubts on how they work.

About the drivers, If i'm not mistaken, you can update them in Windows serrver 2008. What is your maker for the card? I'll advise a new soundcard , once we figure out what's been with your old one :) 

Found more info:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winser...

if these don't work, then i'll move about for a simple x1 audio card for you :) 
December 13, 2010 11:30:12 AM

Actually, I didn't have one when I asked this question, but I found one for $40+ that claimed to work and bought it.

It says SIIG DP SoundWave 5.1 PCIe
and it claims to work. Like I said, Windows Update stopped working on that machine and now I don't know what to do with it. So far nothing helps and the option to repair during setup is grayed out so I suppose it may be that the system needs some updates that it can't get before the card will work right. I don't know. I put the card in the X4.

I followed the mfg. instructions too. So the card is on hold for now while I try to fix the OS issue.

Lutfij said:
I'm going through your documentation now

EDIT -
So lemme repeat this, you already had a soundcard but aren't getting any audio output...and you think your thinking , you should buy a soundcard that is actually support with the x4/x8 slots...right?

Your slots available are x4 and x8's. All soundcards (that are x1) can run off an x4 or an x8 slot. The only catch here is that the x1 card will only need 1 (electrical) lane to run. So that eliminates any doubts on how they work.

About the drivers, If i'm not mistaken, you can update them in Windows serrver 2008. What is your maker for the card? I'll advise a new soundcard , once we figure out what's been with your old one :) 

Found more info:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winser...

if these don't work, then i'll move about for a simple x1 audio card for you :) 

Best solution

December 13, 2010 12:46:07 PM

^ that card is cheap but good. Their site says so : http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=IC-510111-S1

the slots have no issues...the card driver setup/OS is the issue. Grayed out huh? theres an issue on your OS - corrupt/missing files. Uninstall the card drivers/setup or remove from device manager. Take the card out and insert it in another slot.

After a bootup, use the driver disc...to install soundcard.
December 19, 2010 11:07:39 PM

Actually for some reason it started working! Thanks for the help!

December 19, 2010 11:08:12 PM

Best answer selected by sstory.
December 20, 2010 6:38:21 AM

Glad to BE of help :)  happy listening!
!