Sign in with
Your question

PSU confusion for a 8800GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2010 3:01:28 PM

Hello,
I've read up on PSUs but the more I read the less I seem to know...

I have a nVidia 8800GTX card and one of the Stealth OCX 600w power supplies, but the 8800GTX won't start and just humms a loud ear piercing tone.

I read up that this is an amp issue on the 12v rail. Well... I have a PC with an old Socket A AMD 64 3200+ or something like that, a dvd drive and two basic harddrives.

According to the power caculators it should require around 350w for this setup...

So how come I can't run it? Can someone explain why the 600w Steath OCZ PSU can't run this card even though I'm nearly double the wattage needed?

Thanks for anyones time as the shops just don't know what they're on about and laugh at me for trying to explain about 12v rails...

More about : psu confusion 8800gtx

August 2, 2010 3:08:48 PM

the 600w OCZ Stealthxtreme has 4 12v rails at 18Amps, they are also rated as SLI supportive PSU so it should be fine as I have personally tested 2 of these, one has a Radeon HD3870 connected with 5 case fans, 2 harddrives, an AMD X2-6400 and 2 burners and has been running strong for about 15 months, the other is running 2 8800GT's in SLI with a q9550. 2 harddrives, 1 burner in an Antec 900 case with all the fans (also 5 I believe), no problems there either. try a friends PSU that is around the same wattage to see if it starts or put card in another system to see if it's working..... PS, your motherboard is old socket A, no Pci-E? is this an AGP card? what board do you have exactly? have you updated bios? need a little more info on motherboard, use CPU-Z to get info, before actually blaming video card or PSU, look at your board for support.
August 2, 2010 3:12:45 PM

The trouble with testing the card is that my PSU is the most powerful PSU I seem to have... even my work PCs PSUs reject it.

So this tone could mean that the GFX card is actually faulty not under supplied!?

Also, the 8800 GTX says it needs 28amps not 18... or do you add it up (18x2) or something?

Sorry If I sound like an idiot but I've lost confidence in what I know... :( 
Related resources
August 2, 2010 3:19:56 PM

PS, your motherboard is old socket A, no Pci-E? is this an AGP card? what board do you have exactly? have you updated bios? need a little more info on motherboard, use CPU-Z to get info, before actually blaming video card or PSU, look at your board for support.

I replied before your edit so I'll answer these now.
It is the PCI-E card version, I didn't know the GTX came in AGP! I know not the motherboard or bios details! Would it make a difference?
August 2, 2010 3:20:38 PM

(and thanks for the replies, I'm not at home currently so I'll check out CPU-Z when I get home and get exact details for you)
August 2, 2010 3:54:47 PM

thanks, just being cautious, if your board supports Pci-E then it's probably an socket AM/AM2 board, but check to be 100% sure, but my thinking is PSU is fine, you would be using 2 12v rails for the video at about 32Amps total, there's a tool for that but anyways, you have enough power. could be your Bios settings, need to put new video card as choice in bios (primary video = pci-e, not pci/onboard or if this is set because your replacing the current card then it would possibly be a motherboard issue.
August 2, 2010 4:33:17 PM

Nah, it recognises it, but it fails to display anything because it does the high pitch squeal that is the nVidia low voltage warning. now this could be a faulty PCI-E slot (the card is very big and the motherboard is very small... a compaq one)

I'll do the CPU-Z tonight, atm I have my backup card (6600 Turbo pro or something) in which is working fine.
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 2, 2010 4:56:26 PM

Dorjan said:
Hello,
I have a nVidia 8800GTX card and one of the Stealth OCX 600w power supplies, but the 8800GTX won't start and just humms a loud ear piercing tone.

Sounds like the PCI power cables are not plugged in.

And that 28 amp recommendation is for the whole system, not just the video card.
August 2, 2010 5:04:53 PM

The PCI power cables are plugged it, although one of which is using the adaptors since that power supply only comes with one 6-pin. Maybe the adaptor is the broken thing?

Gosh this is even more complicated but my PSU might not be the issue it could be:

The motherboard
The PCI-E slot
The PSU
The Card itself
The Adators converting the 4 pin power to 6pin (or whichever way round that goes...)
August 3, 2010 9:14:58 AM

I wasn't able to get to my PC last night so I'll be doing it tonight, kids... >.<
August 19, 2010 1:00:55 PM

Damn sorry for not replying here everyone. Although I didn't manage to get the details you asked for I was given an 8800 GTS card a friend has spare and that worked fine. The GTX is dead jim!

Everyone who posted here was great and I was and am grateful. So sorry again for the super slow reply.
!