Sign in with
Your question

Cd Burner Vibration an Easy Fix?

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 6:31:53 PM

Greetings all,

My friend has a laptop whose CD burner vibrates way more than it is supposed to be vibrating and makes a loud buzz while burning CDs.

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing? I was thinking that maybe something was just loose and could be tightened if I opened up the case but I've never seen this problem.

When you hold a finger on the outside of the drive tray while the CD is burning it stabilizes the drive so the vibration is drastically reduced.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-KBundy
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 6:39:25 PM

Is it a desktop? CD drives can be noisy, and if it is in a shaky mount, it will shake the mount causing noise. They have rubber washers you can put on the screws to try and reduce vibration.
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 17, 2012 7:36:56 PM

notebook DVD drives are almost always in a sled(4 screws) and only held into the laptop by 1 or 2 screws(not ideal).

I have noticed that some blank and even pressed(retail) CD/DVD's(cheap) do not have good balance and even have bumpy edges(I have 2 slot load notebook drives so can see what you are putting up with). Desktop drives are far less prone to this as they seem to have more room for a nice weighted magnet onto of the disc.

The short term solution is to try to burn slower. You may find a speed that it is not as bad at.
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2012 10:24:03 PM

I know exactly what you mean because I sometimes use 2 screws instead of 4 for my desktop builds but as someone else stated they seem less prone to vibrations.

Should I open it up and see if those screws are the problem?

If its not the screws and the balance is messed up is there nothing you can do?
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
December 17, 2012 10:27:36 PM

Nope, I would try other discs to see if it is all or just some If some, do not buy those any more. I once picked up some very cheap DVD's(just needed some DVD's in a hurry) at wal-mart and damn they even had bad vibration in a desktop drive.

Most laptop DVD drives just have 1 or 2 screws on the bottom to remove then, so it may be worth a look.

On that topic. the SilverStone FT03 case only uses 2 screws on its slim slot load drive. Seems ok with most discs.

I am honestly going to still go with slow that sucker down.
m
l
!