Cd Burner Vibration an Easy Fix?

Greetings all,

My friend has a laptop whose CD burner vibrates way more than it is supposed to be vibrating and makes a loud buzz while burning CDs.

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing? I was thinking that maybe something was just loose and could be tightened if I opened up the case but I've never seen this problem.

When you hold a finger on the outside of the drive tray while the CD is burning it stabilizes the drive so the vibration is drastically reduced.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-KBundy
4 answers Last reply
More about burner vibration easy
  1. Is it a desktop? CD drives can be noisy, and if it is in a shaky mount, it will shake the mount causing noise. They have rubber washers you can put on the screws to try and reduce vibration.
  2. notebook DVD drives are almost always in a sled(4 screws) and only held into the laptop by 1 or 2 screws(not ideal).

I have noticed that some blank and even pressed(retail) CD/DVD's(cheap) do not have good balance and even have bumpy edges(I have 2 slot load notebook drives so can see what you are putting up with). Desktop drives are far less prone to this as they seem to have more room for a nice weighted magnet onto of the disc.

The short term solution is to try to burn slower. You may find a speed that it is not as bad at.
  3. I know exactly what you mean because I sometimes use 2 screws instead of 4 for my desktop builds but as someone else stated they seem less prone to vibrations.

Should I open it up and see if those screws are the problem?

If its not the screws and the balance is messed up is there nothing you can do?
  4. Nope, I would try other discs to see if it is all or just some If some, do not buy those any more. I once picked up some very cheap DVD's(just needed some DVD's in a hurry) at wal-mart and damn they even had bad vibration in a desktop drive.

Most laptop DVD drives just have 1 or 2 screws on the bottom to remove then, so it may be worth a look.

On that topic. the SilverStone FT03 case only uses 2 screws on its slim slot load drive. Seems ok with most discs.

I am honestly going to still go with slow that sucker down.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers Burner CD-Rom Storage