lca1443

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I currently have a 128gb (samsung 830) SSD in my gaming computer with only 13gb of space left. I'm considering buying a 240gb Samsung 840. Should I do a clean install with the 840 being the boot, or should I just move a couple games to the 240?

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
A clean install would be the best option, but if you're lazy like I was you can use the mklink windows command to relocate the files.

I have a 60GB SSD, and the only game I had on it was BF3. This was perfectly fine until expansion after expansion came out and before I knew it, HEYO! 500mb of free space left!

I did not want to reinstall the game and waste 20GB+ of bandwidth, so I simply used the mklink windows command to relocate the files to my D:\ drive, and it worked perfectly.

Basically, all "mklink" is, is a command line option to essentially redirect file access. The game is installed onto C:\, but when it goes to access it, instead it hits a redirection to where it is ACTUALLY located.
Think of it as just being a system level "shortcut"

Functionally, it will perform the same as reinstalling completely, you will move the game data to the other drive, but it will appear as a shortcut folder on your C:\ drive.

I am a huge fan of mklink to move programs/games around.

You can also use some easy software to do it as well.

I made a small guide to some third party freeware that makes junctions more easy for newer users and even advanced users alike.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294557-32-guide-move-software-games-drive-reinstalling

If you can clone the 120 to the 240, I would normally, but I do not think the non pro version of the 840 is fast enough to justify it(may even be slower under many conditions).

Moving software with junctions is a very easy fast way to recover space AND not have to reinstall games and re-patch.

The regular 840 is a TLC version and the 830 is a MLC version. Normally I would recommend going with the drive with least amount of cells, SLC over MLC, MLC over TLC. But when Samsung did the 840 series it created a new controller which is multi-core so it can handle more functions then the controller on the 830. A lot check the Sequential Read and write Rates to grade the drives. However you are more likely to be affected by the Random Read and Write Rates then the sequential rates.
........................................830 128GB...............840 250GB
Sequential Read Rate......520 MB/s(max).........530 MB/s(max)
Sequential Write Rate.....320 MB/s(max).........240 MB/s(max)
Random Read Rate..........75K IOPS(max).........95K IOPS(max)
Random Write Rate.........30K IOPS(max).........44K IOPS(max)

So I think the 840 will be faster overall thanks to the new controller.
FYI: IOPS =Input/Output Operations Per Second

lca1443

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Is there any real advantage to the 840 pro?

TRENDING THREADS