I have a Dell with Windows XP on it. It has 2 dvd's in it, that were working
fine, and then not. When I look in Device Manager the DVD's are there, but
are flagged yellow. They say that the drivers need to be updated. I have:

Updated both drivers
Replaced the cable
Connected the DVD's to IDE 1 with the HD
Put another CD player in on IDE 1 and 2

All CD's/DVD's do the same thing. They show up, but can't communicate.
Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:08:01 -0700, Liz wrote:

> I have a Dell with Windows XP on it. It has 2 dvd's in it, that were working
> fine, and then not. When I look in Device Manager the DVD's are there, but
> are flagged yellow. They say that the drivers need to be updated. I have:
>
> Updated both drivers
> Replaced the cable
> Connected the DVD's to IDE 1 with the HD
> Put another CD player in on IDE 1 and 2
>
> All CD's/DVD's do the same thing. They show up, but can't communicate.
> Anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Do you have third party burning software installed? If yes, check that
program for a tool that checks and analyzes drives. Possibly check for an
update of the program too.

May want to try the following REG file. It's by MVP Doug Knox. It's purpose
is to restore missing drives to Windows Explorer but I think it might be
useful to you in that it resets the upper and lower filter data for the
drives in the registry.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Also an article about burning in XP. Includes some troubleshooting
references that may be helpful:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OUudNbNiFHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> had this to say:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:08:01 -0700, Liz wrote:
>
>> I have a Dell with Windows XP on it. It has 2 dvd's in it, that
>> were working fine, and then not. When I look in Device Manager the
>> DVD's are there, but are flagged yellow. They say that the drivers
>> need to be updated. I have:
>>
>> Updated both drivers
>> Replaced the cable
>> Connected the DVD's to IDE 1 with the HD
>> Put another CD player in on IDE 1 and 2
>>
>> All CD's/DVD's do the same thing. They show up, but can't
>> communicate. Anyone have a suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>
> Do you have third party burning software installed? If yes, check that
> program for a tool that checks and analyzes drives. Possibly check
> for an update of the program too.
>
> May want to try the following REG file. It's by MVP Doug Knox. It's
> purpose is to restore missing drives to Windows Explorer but I think
> it might be useful to you in that it resets the upper and lower
> filter data for the drives in the registry.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
>
> Also an article about burning in XP. Includes some troubleshooting
> references that may be helpful:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Silly question... Maybe upperfilters and lowerfilters gone corrupt due to
shoddy application or the likes? Just something to add to the list of things
to check should the links Sharon gave you not be adequate though they likely
will be. They might even mention it, I took a look and it wasn't glaringly
listed on the pages so I don't really know.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:05:41 -0400, Galen wrote:

> Silly question... Maybe upperfilters and lowerfilters gone corrupt due to
> shoddy application or the likes? Just something to add to the list of things
> to check should the links Sharon gave you not be adequate though they likely
> will be. They might even mention it, I took a look and it wasn't glaringly
> listed on the pages so I don't really know.

Thanks for pitching in, Galen. Doug's tool resets the filters so that
should be covered. It's repeated at Alex's XP burning page.

Have seen XP refer to the burning mechanism as "drivers" which is why I
mentioned burning programs. Sometimes using the tools provided by the
burning application to re-examine the drives helps. However on one
occasion, I had to "re-introduce" my hardware after updates by reinstalling
the burning application. It worked but since drive problems can be caused
by so many things it's not a "cure all."

If this is a new Dell that shipped with two drives, the OP may want to take
advantage of their free tech support.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ut0uPXQiFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> had this to say:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:05:41 -0400, Galen wrote:
>
>> Silly question... Maybe upperfilters and lowerfilters gone corrupt
>> due to shoddy application or the likes? Just something to add to the
>> list of things to check should the links Sharon gave you not be
>> adequate though they likely will be. They might even mention it, I
>> took a look and it wasn't glaringly listed on the pages so I don't
>> really know.
>
> Thanks for pitching in, Galen. Doug's tool resets the filters so that
> should be covered. It's repeated at Alex's XP burning page.
>
> Have seen XP refer to the burning mechanism as "drivers" which is why
> I mentioned burning programs. Sometimes using the tools provided by
> the burning application to re-examine the drives helps. However on one
> occasion, I had to "re-introduce" my hardware after updates by
> reinstalling the burning application. It worked but since drive
> problems can be caused by so many things it's not a "cure all."
>
> If this is a new Dell that shipped with two drives, the OP may want
> to take advantage of their free tech support.

Free support is good. Once there was a time when Dell was reknown for their
support though it's my understanding that they're nowhere near what they
used to be. I've had to manually go in and remove the registry lines a few
times in the past. That's always a fun task. You'd think that, by now, I'd
simply write something to just remove the entries and call it good. Alas, I
still do it manually. Dunno why... Also let's not forget that a good
solution is to place a swift kick into the side of the tower aiming just
below the location of the drive itself. While it might not work (and most
likely won't) it will release a great deal of tension and it's one of the
few times you can win against a computer.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:10:56 -0400, Galen wrote:

> Free support is good. Once there was a time when Dell was reknown for their
> support though it's my understanding that they're nowhere near what they
> used to be. I've had to manually go in and remove the registry lines a few
> times in the past. That's always a fun task. You'd think that, by now, I'd
> simply write something to just remove the entries and call it good. Alas, I
> still do it manually. Dunno why... Also let's not forget that a good
> solution is to place a swift kick into the side of the tower aiming just
> below the location of the drive itself. While it might not work (and most
> likely won't) it will release a great deal of tension and it's one of the
> few times you can win against a computer.
>
> Galen

<smile> Unfortunately, "Kick it!" is all too often more useful advice than
what some tech support departments have to offer.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User