CF card works in reader but not in camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 3:01:20 AM

I have a Dane-Elec 256MB Compact Falsh card that will work just fine in the
PC's card reader but will not work in either of 2 cameras. The message on
the camera says the card cannot be used. It won't allow formatting or
anything. Is this a common problem?

Chris
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:29:08 AM

Since you are saying your camera doesn't allow you to format the card then
try to format your card in your PC's card reader as "FAT" and not "FAT32"
and see if your camera can see it properly. Good luck!

"Chris Johnson" <cjohnson1379@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dane-Elec 256MB Compact Falsh card that will work just fine in
the
> PC's card reader but will not work in either of 2 cameras. The message on
> the camera says the card cannot be used. It won't allow formatting or
> anything. Is this a common problem?
>
> Chris

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:03:02 PM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have a Dane-Elec 256MB Compact Falsh card that will work just fine in the
> PC's card reader but will not work in either of 2 cameras. The message on
> the camera says the card cannot be used. It won't allow formatting or
> anything. Is this a common problem?

My USB cable and firmware in my Sony S-70 packed up after a year or so
forcing me to get a card reader. Fiddling with these little non-standard USB
cables is asking for trouble - it's one more thing to carry and perhaps
lose. When I upgraded to a Fiji, I got the CF card reader at the same time.
January 18, 2005 6:03:03 PM

stewy wrote:
> anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>I have a Dane-Elec 256MB Compact Falsh card that will work just fine in the
>>PC's card reader but will not work in either of 2 cameras. The message on
>>the camera says the card cannot be used. It won't allow formatting or
>>anything. Is this a common problem?
>>

> My USB cable and firmware in my Sony S-70 packed up after a year or so
> forcing me to get a card reader. Fiddling with these little non-standard USB
> cables is asking for trouble - it's one more thing to carry and perhaps
> lose. When I upgraded to a Fiji, I got the CF card reader at the same time.

It sounds as if the card has been formatted in the card reader, and
probably using FAT32. Make sure you format it FAT16, and try again.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 18, 2005 7:24:52 PM

I got the card back and the PC would not read it or format it either. It
went in file 13. Thanks anyway.

Chris

!