Sign in with
Your question

Swapping pcb's?

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 7:54:44 PM

in order to do this do i need to have the Exact same model number as mine? OR can the last letters after the model number be different? ie mine is WD3200BUDT. (if any1 has 1 spare get intouch) or can i use one from say a WD3200BUXT?

I have been told my harddrive is fine as it powers up and sometimes itll connect,iand that ts the board that has had it and that i can swap boards to retrieve my data and be working again..(alot of vids on youtube too)

thanks

More about : swapping pcb

December 17, 2012 8:14:21 PM

or how about using one thats the same model but one that has less or higher space..i.e WD2000BUDT?
a c 885 G Storage
December 18, 2012 2:11:29 AM

I've used one with slightly different model number like in your first example but I already had confirmation that it was the same bd just for a different client. ie - manufacturers make the same drive with 5 different models so store dont have to pricematch kind of thing.
Related resources
December 18, 2012 11:03:55 AM

so basically you mean theyre the same? ive been offered a WD3200AVVS but im unsure wether itd work or noit.

So ive just gone an purchased 1 of those enclosures as a mate said they work great and it was the cheaper option. If it still dont work then ill get another haddrive and swap boards over.

But how do i find out if boards are compatible? :/ 

Thanks
a b G Storage
December 18, 2012 11:19:18 AM

i have always tried to get the board from an identical drive when doing this

otherwise you could end up buying one after another

so unless you know for a fact a similar model pcb will work you should really try to get the exact same

usually i get the whole drive from ebay

like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Digital-AV-25-320-GB-...
December 18, 2012 11:21:03 AM

yeah thats the 1 im watchin :)  its identical then.

a b G Storage
December 18, 2012 11:38:45 AM

cant say 100% its identical for sure--its certainly the same model number

have seen cases where they have made more than one revision and changed the shape of the pcb

does whats written on it match exactly to yours or just near enough the same?

can always ask the seller for a photo of the rear of the drive--there may be a part number on the pcb

you might also need a t5 or t6 screwdriver to remove the pcb--though some do use small phillips screws
December 19, 2012 12:10:07 PM

it is 99% identical.
MDL is the same REV is the same FW is the same
only things different are WWN, DCM, DC

so do you think it is worth it?
a b G Storage
December 19, 2012 2:25:33 PM

yes its close enough

give it a go--if it doesnt work just resell the drive

that way its not costing you
December 19, 2012 4:19:37 PM

yeah thats it
thanks
January 18, 2013 7:24:45 AM

ah right cheers.

cant remember what ive done with it now tbh think i binned it as getting it tested in a shop and it wouldnt connect i gave up on it.
!