Sign in with
Your question

Dropped external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 8:19:52 PM

I have an older WD 160 GB hard drive. it took a nasty spill on the concrete and the case is cracked. we plugged it into the computer and the light still turned on blue as normal and blinked, you can also hear it humming. however it never shows up under my computer. it does show up under my devices and printers and it shows up under safely eject hardware. i'm not interested in spending much money for data recovery as there's only a couple things i would like to have off it. any suggestions?
a c 324 G Storage
December 17, 2012 11:29:44 PM

If you want any data off the drive try Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ), but I would not spend any real effort or money on the drive as it sounds like it is at or near life end after its humpty dumpty.
m
l
December 17, 2012 11:49:03 PM

RealBeast said:
If you want any data off the drive try Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ), but I would not spend any real effort or money on the drive as it sounds like it is at or near life end after its humpty dumpty.

will that work when right now i can't access the drive because it doesn't slow up under my computer?
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 12:56:02 AM

data recovery may cost thousands of dollar, just saying... from your post i see that the data might not mean that much for you, so i'd just get a new external hd and dump the old one.
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
December 18, 2012 1:37:33 AM

anvxftw said:
will that work when right now i can't access the drive because it doesn't slow up under my computer?
It may, it doesn't require a valid system drive or partition, but if not you lose nothing since it is freeware. I've recovered data from many drives that were in bad shape, just depends on your luck.

Fortunately, you didn't lose a large amount of important data and this will remind you to back up frequently to a remote drive (and don't think about usb drives as they are highly unreliable).
m
l
!