Sign in with
Your question

Random reset-cross post

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2010 10:23:56 PM

also posted in Nvidia portion of Graphics & display forum:

I am a first-time poster. I design plastic injection molds at home and have been self-employed at this since 1984. Therefore, I am my own system administrator and I get stumped regularly. My current workstation ( I can re-post the specs if they aren't easily accessible) is 2 years old. While using SolidWorks-every once in a while the display will go black and the computer will immediately reset. To say the least, this is inconvenient. When this started, my OS was Windows Vista Business, 64-bit. My first shot was to clean out the box and check all the fans-which are operating properly. After that did not seem to help, I then did a clean install of Windows7 Professional, 64-bit. I was fine for 2 days then had a crash yesterday, so apparently the gremlins are still there. This happens only while I am running SolidWorks, but this is not surprising since that is all I do on that machine. SolidWorks does require MS Office, so that is loaded as well.

I have posted this in the Nvidia portion of the Graphics & Display forum, but this could just as well be related to something else. I was wondering if a faulty power supply could also cause this, but I am not sure if I would get an immediate reset if that were the case. SolidWorks seems to be very fussy about matters related to the vid card, so this is my best guess of the source of my problem. SW recommends driver 8.17.11.9790 for use with my current OS and SW2011, sp0, so that is what I have loaded.

Any advice would be appreciated.
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2010 10:36:05 PM

You need to list your complete system hardware specs, especially the power supply 12v amp ratings.
m
l
December 1, 2010 1:07:09 AM

Xi MTower PCIe Workstation ; Core2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33 ghz ; 45nm 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Dual-Core VT EM64T ; Ram= 8192MB DDR3 @1333Mhz 4x2048 dual Rank Interleave w/Heat Spread ; nVidia Quadro FX 1700 ; 300GB 10000RPM SATAII VelociRaptor 16MB Cache ; Windows7 Professional, 64-bit. EVGA Nvidia nForce 790i motherboard.

my specs for power supply are not readily apparent to me from my documentation and I am not in a position to crack the box to get a peek at it. If somebody thinks that knowing the exact information is pertinent, I can always do that. What I am looking for at this time is a general sense of what could be causing this issue. Others are telling me this could be a heat issue but I have a 25cm monster fan and several 12cm fans which are functioning. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
!