Small SSD storage HDD

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • SSD
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 9:23:19 PM

so i just built my computer and i had thought i could set everything but the os to go to the storage HDD so can i do this? do i need to do a raid 0? how can i go about doing this? because my SSD is only 64 gb. if i need to format my ssd and HDD can i without a new windows 7? i have pro 64 bit OEM. it isnt registered yet, could i reformat and use the same CD and code?

just tell me what i need to do please?

specs:

asus sabertooth z77 mobo
64gb SSD
1TB caviar black HDD
win7 pro 64 bit.

i need to store everything to the WD drive except for my OS i want to keep it on my SSD.

More about : small ssd storage hdd

a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 10:12:02 PM

All you have to do is to dis-connect the HDD cables (power and SATA), then with only the SSD cables connected, re-start your system, and get into the Bios.

On the Bios set the SSD as your primary/priority Drive.

Do not set it to Raid -- set it to AHCI, then install W7.

After the installation just re-connect the HDD cables, and you are done!

I hope it helps! :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 11:17:44 PM

One 64GB SSD might be a little close for the O/S to run well, but jemm is right be sure only the SSD drive is hooked up when you do the install and I'd make sure it was plugged into Disk 0 port on the motherboard. To do raid 0 (stripping) you would need two 64GB SSD., so don't worry about doing that. Once you finished installing Windows and doing all the updates then add the data disk. You might want to setup your download folder to the data disk so it won't use up your SSD space so fast. Be sure when you install new programs to change the location to the data disk too.
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2012 11:26:32 PM

littleleo said:
One 64GB SSD might be a little close for the O/S to run well, but jemm is right be sure only the SSD drive is hooked up when you do the install and I'd make sure it was plugged into Disk 0 port on the motherboard. To do raid 0 (stripping) you would need two 64GB SSD., so don't worry about doing that. Once you finished installing Windows and doing all the updates then add the data disk. You might want to setup your download folder to the data disk so it won't use up your SSD space so fast. Be sure when you install new programs to change the location to the data disk too.

i made an account on this website thinking i might get an answer from someone who knows what there talking about i just built my pc the other night and the os is on the ssd why in the hell would i reinstall it? i have my documents pictures music and downloads all set to use the HDD what i want to know is how to set other things like programs that dont ask where to install where they should go automatically?
m
l
a c 971 G Storage
December 18, 2012 1:55:22 AM

I know the answer but with an attitude like that you can go jump in a lake...
next time ask what you really want and not beat around the bush and maybe you'll get the answer you want instead of being treated like the newb that you sounded like.
m
l
December 18, 2012 3:12:49 PM

popatim said:
I know the answer but with an attitude like that you can go jump in a lake...
next time ask what you really want and not beat around the bush and maybe you'll get the answer you want instead of being treated like the newb that you sounded like.

alright bye.
m
l
December 18, 2012 4:09:57 PM

If your OS is on the SSD (C: drive), programs will automatically be installed in the programs folder of the C: drive
m
l
!