Sign in with
Your question

2.5 laptop HD into older Dell desktop

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 9:40:38 PM

I have an old Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop, and happen to have a WD Scorpio Blue 250GB laptop HD that I would like to install into it. I purchased a 2.5 to 3.5 kit which includes mounting brackets, and adapter. The strange thing is that it will not line up with any of the cables inside the computer with or without the adapter plug. According to other websites this is a PATA drive, so I should not be having any issues connecting it to the IDE cable. Thought I had it figured out at one point as it had some sort of an apater on it which I slid off to reveal the 44 pin configuration I am use to seeing. Still there are gaps in the sequence on the drive that do not line up with any cables I have inside the comp. Am I going crazy here, or is the answer right under my nose? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 10:00:17 PM

No, it will work.
When you are looking at the hard drive from the top, with the connector end towards you, the adapter slips on from the farthest left pin all the way over to the end. The gap signifies the end of the interface connector, and the beginning of the jumper pin configuration.
So, just put er' all the way to the left and you will be fine. Be careful not to bend any pins.
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 10:01:41 PM

Also, you should see 4 pins in a square shape all by themselves, those are the configuration jumpers, don't put ur adapter on those.
Related resources
December 17, 2012 10:07:36 PM

I see what you mean, and that is what I thought to, but the ide cables inside the computer have that gap of about 1 space in the middle, and the end of the hard drive has no gaps in the center. It should work no roblem, but it is strange. Also I know this machine can support sata, but it is not a sata cable either. Thank you for the help, and I agree, but really odd set-up in there.
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 10:09:24 PM

The 2.5" PATA laptop drive pinout is different from 3.5" PATA desktop drive pinout (44 pins vs. 40 pins). The four extra pins on the laptop drive are used for power. You'll need to buy an adapter to get it to work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drive-IDE-PATA-2-5-3-5-Con...

Edit: Depending on price, you may be better off buying an external 2.5" enclosure for the drive and plugging it into a USB port. Most 2.5" PATA drives couldn't read much faster than the ~30 MB/s limit of USB 2.0, so there's no big loss. It's not like modern drives which have a high enough data density that even the 2.5" drives can read at 100 MB/s peak.

It's only SATA drives where the 2.5" and 3.5" versions share the same connectors.
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 10:10:02 PM

The one pin missing in the middle of the connector is worthless, except for making sure you don't put the cable on upside down, thats it.

Have a good one!
December 18, 2012 12:30:59 AM

Solandri said:
The 2.5" PATA laptop drive pinout is different from 3.5" PATA desktop drive pinout (44 pins vs. 40 pins). The four extra pins on the laptop drive are used for power. You'll need to buy an adapter to get it to work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drive-IDE-PATA-2-5-3-5-Con...

Edit: Depending on price, you may be better off buying an external 2.5" enclosure for the drive and plugging it into a USB port. Most 2.5" PATA drives couldn't read much faster than the ~30 MB/s limit of USB 2.0, so there's no big loss. It's not like modern drives which have a high enough data density that even the 2.5" drives can read at 100 MB/s peak.

It's only SATA drives where the 2.5" and 3.5" versions share the same connectors.

Hello. Thank you for the response. Actually I did get the adapter along with the brackets, and it does change the pins to 40. The problem is that the IDE cables inside my machine all have gaps, (made that way) in the pin configuration, so that it cannot line up properly. Very odd.
!