NEC Laptop HD upgrade

I have a NEC 2780MT with a small 3.2Gig HD.

NEC say the largest drive they have tested in 4Gig, but there are on-line
stores that sell 30/40gig drives and say they will work.

Anyone have experience with installing a large drive in a 1999 vintage
233MX?

Will it be possible to partition drive and see all partitions? Or can I use
some type of utility software?

Graeme
2 answers Last reply
More about laptop upgrade

    it is the bios that recognizes the drive and it's full size.
    the larger drives will work but you may have to partition them.

    "Graeme" <nomail@allplease.com> wrote in message
    >I have a NEC 2780MT with a small 3.2Gig HD.
    >
    > NEC say the largest drive they have tested in 4Gig, but there are on-line
    > stores that sell 30/40gig drives and say they will work.
    >
    > Anyone have experience with installing a large drive in a 1999 vintage
    > 233MX?
    >
    > Will it be possible to partition drive and see all partitions? Or can I
    > use
    > some type of utility software?
    >
    > Graeme

    "BigJIm" wrote

    > it is the bios that recognizes the drive and it's full size.
    > the larger drives will work but you may have to partition them.

    "Graeme" wrote >
    > >I have a NEC 2780MT with a small 3.2Gig HD.
    > >
    > > NEC say the largest drive they have tested in 4Gig, but there are
    on-line
    > > stores that sell 30/40gig drives and say they will work.
    > >
    > > Anyone have experience with installing a large drive in a 1999 vintage
    > > 233MX?
    > >
    > > Will it be possible to partition drive and see all partitions? Or can I
    > > use
    > > some type of utility software?

    I have downloaded the most up to date BIOS but it will probably not
    recognise the complete drive.
    If it does not, what is best procedure?
    If I partition into several drives, even these may not be seen?
    I understand that there may be a problem with the "sleep" function on
    laptops?
    Is there overlay software that might work with this computer?

    Sorry - Lot's of questions, but I don't want to buy a drive and then find it
    won't work.

    Let's say I do buy it and can't get it working - If I buy a USB external
    case and format the drive on another computer, will laptop likely see it on
    usb port?

    Graeme

Laptops NEC HD