Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing a new PSU to a CM 690 II Advanced case

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2010 4:56:18 PM

Hello,
Just got this new system off of cyberpowerpc, my case is a coolermaster 690 II Advanced with the Aerocool Touch 2000 Dual Bay Touch Screen Fan Control, now heres the deal, i just got a xion 700w psu in my new build because just a month prior i bought a 1100w XION Power Real Psu for which i figured i would pop in to replace the 700w psu. Only trouble is, upon taking both side panels off the case i see the wiring from the 700w psu going up into the Aerocool Touch 2000 Dual Bay Touch Screen Fan Control is very tight & not easily accesible. Is there a way i can swap psu's without screwing up my new rig??? Need help or tips plz!!!

Best solution

September 8, 2010 5:18:28 PM

Only thing going from a Fan control to the PSU should be a molex.

In this case you've also got USB, audio, etc, but that's basically just moving front panel connectors from the case to the Fan controller (completely pointless feature).

Besides that there's just the connection btwn the controller and the fans themselves.

Only thing you'd need to touch if you change PSU's is the molex.
September 8, 2010 6:39:03 PM

"Only thing going from a Fan control to the PSU should be a molex."

Well unfortunately, theres more wires going up "into this lil compartment" than just this, seems like at least 3-4 things connected back in this tight lil space, thats why the post. If it was just 1 connection i wouldn't of even bothered posting, thats simple.

"Besides that there's just the connection btwn the controller and the fans themselves.

Only thing you'd need to touch if you change PSU's is the molex."

I'll have to check this out, hopefully your right, but upon initially looking at it real well (or at least i thought i looked at it real well,lol) it looked as if there were quite a few wires.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2010 8:53:16 PM

Bump...
m
l
September 8, 2010 9:06:11 PM

You can always cut the lines and combine them with your replacement.
or please take pictures so that we may see.
m
l
September 9, 2010 3:02:32 AM

christiangordon said:
You can always cut the lines and combine them with your replacement.
or please take pictures so that we may see.

The picture part i can fully understand, "but cut the lines" on a brand new puters psu???
m
l
September 9, 2010 1:28:04 PM

I've also seen videos that you can actually pop off the top of this case, this mite help as well. I ordered 2 CM 120mm super sexy blue led fans (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...) & a 80mm blue led fan for the MB/chipset (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...) when these arrive i guess we'll pull the case apart & "attempt" to swap out psu's & installed 3 additional fans. While i'm waiting on the delivery of the 3 fans tho i will continue to research & gather any additional knowledge that i can as far wiring/swapping psu's within this case.
m
l
September 12, 2010 6:54:29 PM

Got it in with just the typical wiring problems, for the most part no probs tho. Was more of a headache climbing up into the attic to get my box down & back up that has my old duo-core in it (it had the 1100w psu in it), plus ripped out my old soundblaster audigy 4 se soundcard as well, not really really crazy about the realtek onboard audio (even tho onboard audio has come a long way). Now the "major part" of my upgrading is done. Now the last part comes 2morrow when my 3 new case fans come (also getting my new droid x 2morrow as well, HOLLER!!!) Will post some pics once i install my fans 2morrow, thanks for the help.
m
l
September 19, 2010 3:13:41 PM

Best answer selected by DaGman13.
m
l
!