Your question

(Urgent ordering tomorrow) Samsung 840 250GB vs. 840 pro 256GB

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2012 11:31:36 PM

Hello Forums!

I am just about to order my new build to get it here by Christmas and I can't decide on which SSD to get to fit my needs.

As the title mentions, I am having trouble deciding between these two SSDs and would like to ask, are the differences really worth the extra 100 or so dollars? One main difference I have noticed is about the write speed on the NON-Pro is about half that of the Pro, so is that something to worry about?

Also, I plan on doing mostly gaming, schoolwork, and possibly some video editing/rendering for YouTube, so would the differences really hamper my experience?

I am willing to pay the extra if the Pro is that much more worth it, but any money I can save would be fantastic. I also plan on buying the Pro from Amazon if that is the better choice (comes with Assassins Creed 3), and the Non-Pro from Newegg in the Desktop Upgrade kit.

Thank you to anyone who can offer me advice, and if you would recommend another SSD or or SSD Brand, please feel free to let me know.

P.S. If I choose to go with the PRO version which is bare bones only, what other parts would I need to buy to be able to put the SSD in my computer and attach it?

Also, I plan on buying an HDD later down the road, but for now, this drive would be for my most played games and OS

Thanks again!

More about : urgent ordering tomorrow samsung 840 250gb 840 pro 256gb

a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 11:39:01 PM

if you are on a budget there is no need to buy the 840 pro. the regular 840 uses TLC nand which is slower and you get less writes on it. you most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 in normal desktop usage. if you don't care about the money and simply want the fastest ssd get the 840 pro.
m
l
!