Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I'm using an Antec Three Hundred Black Steel case with these parts:

i5-760
Geforce GTX 465
OCZ 4GB RAM
OCZ 600W PSU
1TB 7200 RPM Samsung F3 Spinpoint

would I need extra fans if I'm not going to be OCing my system?

This will be used mostly for work and some gaming here and there.

Solution
I would put at least one front 120mm fan on first. The second could go on the side intake or a second front intake, you might try both and see which works better.

Speedfan is a free utility that will read the motherboard and CPU temps.

70 is pretty good for a GPU under full load.
If you are not having temperature issues then there is no need. The 465 is a hot and power hungry card so you should check the temps under load to be sure you wont have problems.

If you ever add a second GPU you want to budget for at least one front and the side fan.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Run your build and put it under load

If you are getting high temperatures, then buy some fans...

compfreak93

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Get an after-market CPU cooler, get a good fan on your side vent, in the back, and in front thats pretty much all you'll need and if you want to get extra creative and if you have space go 1 on top.

bananabombz

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Ah. If I were to buy only one more fan (right now the case comes with the fans for the top and the back) would it be better to put it on the side or the front?

I won't be adding another gpu any time soon.

Running the gpu under a load it goes up to 70 C max i've seen.

CPU i'm not sure how to test the temp for that without extra tools. Or is there a built in themometer on the mobo maybe?

I have the MSI H55-G43

Thanks for the quick replies! =]

I would put at least one front 120mm fan on first. The second could go on the side intake or a second front intake, you might try both and see which works better.

Speedfan is a free utility that will read the motherboard and CPU temps.

70 is pretty good for a GPU under full load.

Solution