Sign in with
Your question

Samba to Windoze Workgroups...

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 11, 2001 2:05:45 AM

I found the Samba config in KDE... set up UserId, password, and Workgroup name - OK... Now?

How how do I print to the LAN printer on a local W2K box...
The shares are set up, the UserId is in the Win box, but I see no shares commin thru on Suse(Linux)...

And , Where do I give Linux the printer driver, Its a Laserjet(an old one, but a good one, HP Laserjet IIp+, still printin perfectly, and in the supported hardware list for SuSE)

Should I just plug the Laserjet into SuSE and get it printin that way first? Then go o LAN printin?

The LAN's there, all pings ok. but how dow ya see in in Linux?
November 11, 2001 2:18:33 AM

And how do ya get to Samba with WindowMaker? KDE's got mention and config for Samba. but nothing from other desktop mgrs??? (is it back to command line to get shares started?)

And, quickly this linux command line is a little funny. Like I ping xxx.xxx.xxx, and it just keeps pingin, gotta ctl-C it to stop... Is that normal? what should I read?

This is definitely a learning experience...
Anonymous
November 11, 2001 4:43:29 AM

Hi again,

Like I said before, I'm not familiar with Suse specifically - or what config programs it uses (YAST?), so I all I can suggest is <A HREF="http://www.linuxdoc.org" target="_new">http://www.linuxdoc.org&lt;/A>, and read the SMB-HOWTO, or <A HREF="http://www.samba.org" target="_new">http://www.samba.org&lt;/A> to find out from the source.

Maybe more knowledgable Suse based folks can help? Alternatively, see if you can find 'linuxconf' on your box. That should let you configure most things.

Yeah, things is different to Windows... ctl-c is ok here; ping -c 5 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will give 5 pings. To find this stuff out, use the "man pages" (there's at least one man page for just about everything). typing 'man ping' will tell you a lot about ping. 'ping --help' will tell you a little bit. There's a GUI man browser called 'xman' + whatever on-line help Suse has.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 12, 2001 4:12:41 PM

Limited success with Samba... Samba Client was installed by default with Suse. Installed full Samba Server and deamons. Moded smb.conf, per workgroup, gave cdrom, printer as share(keepin it simple), then started smb with: rcsmb start...

Windoze boxes see the nix shares! The Nix box shows up in network place, with cdrom and prinfer shares... But can't access em, pops up this dialog with Connect As, and Password! I give a valid Nix User/Psw and just get various complaints - tried lots - No Access... sad... Guess this requires mods in other smb config files, like smbusers, smbpasswd, etc... A cumbersome, and for me trial and error, process...

Nix sees the W2k shares - but only with smbclient.. like:
smbclient -L server_name - works ok, shows the available servers!
smbclient //server_name /share_name - works OK, then smb> sub-commands ok...

The smbclient is OK, but isn't there some other interface rather than this command line, subcommand interface... Like KDE has this Window share config... it's filled in correctly... but then how do ya use it, or access the shares with anything... Is there a general access syntax I'm missin here...
Is there there anything like the "net use drive: \\server\share" and then
the share is generally available for KDE and command line?

Another quick question! The samba setup says put SAMBA_START=yes in the rc.conf file. ok fine! But, ya know, there isn't really a rc.conf file -> theres an rcr.conf.d entry... that looks to be a directory? with other files?... This has got to be a NIX thing... Does it concatinate em all??? Now What Doc Explains This?

And ALL this Linux documentation is like super, overly cryptic! It just ain't ever gonna make it in New York! Get to the Point! Without 10 versions, and KISS it - Keep It Simple Stupid - I JUST WANT TO PRINT TO A NETWORK PRINTER!!!
(OK, I stop the rant... but spent all day sunday with limited success)

The biggest single question is? Now with SMB up and OK:

the share is generally available for KDE, command line and all?
November 13, 2001 1:36:28 AM

Here is my smb.conf-I make sure all users have proper access to folders, etc. %S is the users name. I set /samba/bob to be user root and group bob. chmod to 770. I hope this helps you. Make sure you use smbpasswd to make the passwords. Best of luck.
[global]
workgroup = fiesta
announce version = 5.0
Server String = Tuxedo, Samba %v Server
; To enable guest access at LAN parites, uncomment
; guest account = ftp
; At LAN parties, change to 10 to account for collisions
keep alive = 0
; To enable guest access at LAN parties,change to "yes"
guest ok = no
guest only = no
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
encrypt passwords = yes
security = user
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
mangle case = yes
case sensitive = yes
default case = lower
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = no

[homes]
comment= %S's server space
guest ok = no
path= /samba/%S
browseable = no
writeable = yes
create mode = 0770
#Use the following lines to permit guest access at LAN parties
#[LanParty]
# comment = Lan Party Samba %v Server
# directory = /lanparty
# public = yes
# guest ok = yes
# guest only = yes
# browseable = yes
# writeable = yes
# create mode = 0777

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
Anonymous
November 13, 2001 2:07:02 AM

Quote:

the share is generally available for KDE, command line and all?

Yes. All you have to do is mount the network share as a local directory. It's something like "mount -t smbfs -o username=CompSci,password=XXXX //server/share /mnt/windows"

re your lack of windows->linux connection, i seem to remember something about encrypted passwords or something... not too sure now. try uncommenting 'use encrypted passwords = yes' Your box should have some html docs in /usr/share/doc/samba-xxxx/ that cover "using samba". it goes through the process of getting things like passwords sorted.

dunno about rcr.whatever, must be a suse thing. there will be a nice gui tool to configure the system services somewhere on your box.

Re setup tools, i still think Yast2 will probably do this stuff... I guess you didn't find linuxconf. There's a Gnome tool called gnomba which is a good windows network browser, and there's also a web-based config app called swat. You get apache and swat running, then point your browser at localhost:901. But the real tools are the shell, and the config file.
November 13, 2001 3:16:38 AM

Wow! Your Good... When you say:

"Yes. All you have to do is mount the network share as a local directory."...

That's clear as a bell! - I got ya! Now why isn't this Linux documentation written in a similar way! I'll bet I can look up "mount" and get this workin quickly... Mucho thanks...

Per windows->Linux connect: I got that workin now, am seeing and sharing cdrom and Printer OK. But with a little funny, I first have to read the cdrom on the linux box(which forces a mount), then cdrom is accessable in all win boxes. Per the password stuff, i'm just usin "guest ok = Yes, and/or insuring that "smbusers" have then valid UserIDs in it.. That "Mount" thing came up here too... gotta read up on it...

And, yea, Again - that rc.config.d thing is a SuSE/Yast2/rc.config specific convention. Should have RTM'ed(Read The Manul) Got it now...

Am puttin in Apache now. Have installed the package, just havent set up/configured yet... then try SWAt. But its late - it'll be tomorrow!

But for sure - "Mount" that's the ticket! I owe ya for that one...
November 14, 2001 12:46:42 AM

Sharin both way, now...
Mount was Indeed the trick... A bit strnge, ya have to premake the /mnt/(<Share-Diretories> first - then mount em...

Apache's up and runnin, Moved over a small web. Got the basics goin...

Now, A development Environment??? Suse gives ya a lot of em...
I noticed a post or comment somewhere that if you were used to Visual Studio you like the _____ dev environment! but I can't remember where or what???

If you are used to V Studio usin V interdev, ASP, VB or VC , Sql Server, all integrated( breapoints everywhere(in ASP, VB, and VC all open at the same time) which one am I gonn like? (Visual Studio is Killer!)

Or maybe I should go with the Perfered Linux Dev IDE! ASP, COM isn't exactly a big hit in Nix land( although I did see Apache ASP). Doesn't NIX prefer, Perl, JAva, CORBA... When in Rome... Think i want to go Perl,and componenents! I originaly came from C/C++ development, but last 3/4 years I've had to do VB/ADO SQL components cause that's where the majority of the work is... Its a faster, easier, less expensive solution... I've even grown to like it...

What do ya recommend for dev environmant? And Source control?

PS: I do know Im way over my head here, I have'nt run a make from the command line in years, but I used to!(brief, cl,and nmake with IBM Csset2, MS 6, and Metaware Hi C). Visual Studio is Paradise/with SourceSafe a Breeze... But if I'm gonna go NIX - might as well go first class!

What's IBM like to use/perfer for a dev suite/IDE/environment?
Anonymous
November 14, 2001 8:42:06 AM

nice. not bad for a newbie ;-)

re samba, you can set up "always connected" mounts in /etc/fstab, and "user only" ones can be added to login scripts (eg ~/.bashrc or similar)

I'm using <A HREF="http://www.kdevelop.org" target="_new">KDevelop 2</A> right now, for a cross platform QT/C++ project. It's pretty similar in use to MSVisual C++. Decent support for breakpoints and debugging. It can look after all that Makefile management for you, and supports CVS versioning. Some folks swear by emacs, vim, etc, but I haven't spent a lot of time with them. <A HREF="http://www.borland.com/kylix" target="_new">Kylix</A> looks nice (I've not used it), and is effectively a Linux version of Delphi.

<A HREF="http://www.perl.com" target="_new">Perl</A> is cool, and <A HREF="http://www.php.com" target="_new">PHP</A> is a very nice scripting environment that could possibly be compared to ASP? I've just used <A HREF="http://quanta.sourceforge.net" target="_new">Quanta Plus</A> for a little web survey project written in PHP, HTML + CSS + Javascript, interfaced to <A HREF="http://www.mysql.com" target="_new">MySQL</A>, and served up through apache. Quanta+ made managing it quite easy, as it's aimed at this web-dev stuff.

Also, I'd suggest knowing XML, and it's associated object models, for some of the current stuff.
November 14, 2001 11:19:21 AM

Threw in Kdevelop - Don't now what ver - Whatever came with Suse...

The box is commin together, and stable! Need a sound card, and CD burner. Might even put a floppy in it! (Booted/installed from CDrom). Hardware's a selctive process for Nix... Therein's a big drawback... NIx gotta get the driver developer community to take Nix seriously to even think mainstream!
But i got a semi-acceptable workstation... Its got potential

Now i gotta hit the books... Suse's really been dooin everything for me,(and a little help from my friends) as I really don't know what I'm doin! I have to be the clumbiest, hit'n'miss nix user around... Its a new world!!!
This super user, run level, security, permissions is all new...

Actually the next thing i wanta learn is the the Bat/Command concept for Nix, so I can make my own canned and parameterized commands... I see these command scripts everywhere - gotta learn how to make my owm!

LAter, gotta do M$ work today to make a livin...
November 14, 2001 7:28:13 PM

Book recommednation:
Running Linux, from O'reilly.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
Anonymous
November 25, 2001 9:33:23 PM

CompSci,
Thats the best way to learn Linux, just messing around with it, trying new things and experimenting... basically, hacking. oh yeah... and reading lots of books.
:) 
You should find it easy as you are a developer.... which means that your next task is to build yourself a nice and shiney kernel.
!