  • Hard Drives
  • Power Down
  • Windows XP
July 15, 2005 6:21:17 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to find a way how to increase reliability of the Windows XP
maschine, which will be running 24 hours a day with only one single
application. What I want to do is to turn off the power of hard drive
after the expiration of the idle time.
I' have disabled the prefetcher , autodefreag, virtual memory, windows
updates download, but the hard drive still doesn't want to sleep. A have
the timer set to 20 minutes. The harddrive turns off, but after another
half an hour or an hour it turns on again. Is there any other background
optimization, which can be disabled ?

The maschine is a panel PC with touchscreen, with VIA 533MHz, 512 MB RAM
and 3.5" 80GB HDD Maxtor. I know that it's not recommended to use this
power management of harddrive, but the application is really simple one
and doesn't need the drive at all.

Petr

More about : hdd power

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:50:38 PM

If the drive truly isn't required, why not set it up to boot from an
os-resident CD and run from there?

"Petr Odlozil" <odlozil@trakceol.cz> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find a way how to increase reliability of the Windows XP
> maschine, which will be running 24 hours a day with only one single
> application. What I want to do is to turn off the power of hard drive
> after the expiration of the idle time.
> I' have disabled the prefetcher , autodefreag, virtual memory, windows
> updates download, but the hard drive still doesn't want to sleep. A have
> the timer set to 20 minutes. The harddrive turns off, but after another
> half an hour or an hour it turns on again. Is there any other background
> optimization, which can be disabled ?
>
> The maschine is a panel PC with touchscreen, with VIA 533MHz, 512 MB RAM
> and 3.5" 80GB HDD Maxtor. I know that it's not recommended to use this
> power management of harddrive, but the application is really simple one
> and doesn't need the drive at all.
>
> Petr
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:09:01 PM

Good Idea, but this panel PC doesn't have CD drive and may be need to
use some changeable files with configuration.

> If the drive truly isn't required, why not set it up to boot from an
> os-resident CD and run from there?
>

> "Petr Odlozil" <odlozil@trakceol.cz> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to find a way how to increase reliability of the Windows XP
>>maschine, which will be running 24 hours a day with only one single
>>application. What I want to do is to turn off the power of hard drive
>>after the expiration of the idle time.
>>I' have disabled the prefetcher , autodefreag, virtual memory, windows
>>updates download, but the hard drive still doesn't want to sleep. A have
>>the timer set to 20 minutes. The harddrive turns off, but after another
>>half an hour or an hour it turns on again. Is there any other background
>>optimization, which can be disabled ?
>>
>>The maschine is a panel PC with touchscreen, with VIA 533MHz, 512 MB RAM
>>and 3.5" 80GB HDD Maxtor. I know that it's not recommended to use this
>>power management of harddrive, but the application is really simple one
>>and doesn't need the drive at all.
>>
>>Petr

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:21:02 AM