Olympus C3030 flash suggestions

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 3:16:09 AM

I just bought a used Olympus C3030 that will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I
noticed in the specs that it can use an external flash. It would probably be
used for church events like plays, weddings, etc. Does anyone have any
recommendations? Are there any less expensive non-Olympus flashes that would
do a good job?

Chris
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:16:10 AM

"Chris Johnson" <cjohnson1379@earthlink.net> writes:

> I just bought a used Olympus C3030 that will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I
> noticed in the specs that it can use an external flash. It would probably be
> used for church events like plays, weddings, etc. Does anyone have any
> recommendations? Are there any less expensive non-Olympus flashes that would
> do a good job?

See my Olympus flash FAQ:
http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html

I believe your C-3030 has a 5 pin TTL terminal on the side like my C-2100. The
best solution is getting a Promaster flash with the 5 pin adaptor cord,
otherwise you have to spend $$$ getting the Olympus bracket to put the flashes
in.

If you want to go simpler, get a generic flash (Vivitar 285HV, Vivitar 283,
Sunpak 383) and a FL-CB04 cable. Note, don't buy used Vivitar flashes -- older
flashes could send hundreds of volts through your camera.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Thanks. I used to have a 285HV that I used with my Canon AE-1. Great flash.
I tried it with my Olympus D-510 with one of those adapters that senses the
camera's flash and it didn't work so I sold the flash and it's accessories.
Oh well. I'll read the link and see from there.

Chris
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:55:22 AM

"Chris Johnson" <cjohnson1379@earthlink.net> writes:

> Thanks. I used to have a 285HV that I used with my Canon AE-1. Great flash.
> I tried it with my Olympus D-510 with one of those adapters that senses the
> camera's flash and it didn't work so I sold the flash and it's accessories.
> Oh well. I'll read the link and see from there.

The D-510Z was my first digital camera. It doesn't have a raw mode, so using a
slave flash would have been problematical. Wein makes a trigger especially for
digital cameras that doesn't fire the slave flash until it sees the 2nd pulse.
Also, Sunpak makes a flash bracket with a digital trigger builtin that has
options for several different ways to trigger the slave flash (first pulse,
second pulse, and wait a specific amount of time after seeing a pulse).

--
!